ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "Carlos Cruz" <car...@nbtbizcapital.com>
Subject RE: Should we keep the multi-tenants feature in OFBiz?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2018 19:11:41 GMT
These are my personal opinions and no way shape or form a criticism of anyone especially the
developers.

this premise is not correct. I think we are mixing apples and oranges. Docker itself relies
on some sort of multi-tenant (broadly speaking and being generic) architecture. A Docker container
cannot run independently, Docker containers need some sort of management system  (ie Kubernetes
or Swarm) therefor right there you have a "multi-tenant" asset to manage the Docker containers.
Another example in a very broad way aren't Tomcat and Apache HTTP, MySQL, MS SQL, etc. "multi-tenant"
systems?

If you're running a server at the back of your shop, running one instance of OFBiz running
your one ecommerce site, yes multi-tenant is perhaps an overkill. On the other hand if a company
is running OFBiz for its own multi-company needs or hosting needs of many clients, the costs
of running many instances of OFBiz will very quickly become prohibitive. The idea the risks
associated with a "multi-tenant" environment is any higher than running a Container environment
is also incorrect, whether you're running, multi-tenants,  VMs or Docker containers you still
need to have some sort of redundancy except it becomes more complex and expensive.

If the goal of OFBiz is to serve the needs of QuickBooks (figurative) sized clients, yes it
should forgo the burden of its "multi-tenant" architecture, on the other hand if it wants
to be a true ERP system, then there are many companies that require a "multi-tenant" architecture.
Abandoning OFBiz's "multi-tenant" architecture would go against the trend taken by most major
ERP solutions like SAP and MS Dynamics.  If anyone wants to run OFBiz as a SaaS solution no
way around it, economically speaking you NEED to have "multi-tenancy".  For an ERP system
a Docker implementation in my opinion is a compromise, and one of the reasons I don't prefer
Moqui.

I personally think OFBiz's mutli-tenancy does not go far enough, for example I think the Login
into OFBiz should be more aware of its tenants, and not require a Tenant ID.

Again very, very, very broadly speaking Google, Amazon, Microsoft (i.e. Azure) Facebook, IBM
(i.e Watson cognitive analytics) and many others are all able to track the last time you said
hello to your special friend and recommend you step into the closest flower shop by running
some sort of monolithic natured multi-tenant software.

Carlos