ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Paul Mandeltort <p...@marcospec.com>
Subject Re: discussion:provide official docker image of Apache OFBiz?
Date Thu, 17 May 2018 15:58:25 GMT
STRONG +1 here as an end user.

Having a solid tested reference implementation would save man years of
time in development, testing, and deployment especially for small
teams that are weak in the devops department.

I started playing with this but it’s a back burner project right now.

A proper set of docker images and a reference docker compose
architecture based around Postgres would be ideal going forward. Then
SOLR could also be managed as a docker image. One of the biggest new
user pain points for ofbiz is figuring out how to switch the database
to a real dbms.  We could then just drop support for derby as the only
reason it’s there is that it supposedly saves time for testing ofbiz.
Docker Postgres solves that problem and is the clear standard for open
source databases now.

Making docker ofbiz the standard starting point also eliminates all
the cross platform java headaches which I see at lest a post or two a
week about.

It would also accelerate adoption, development, and save everyone
money long term as it makes it super easy to fire up and iterate
ofbiz.

—P