ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: OFBiz Documentation Team Volunteers Needed
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2018 14:41:50 GMT
I agree, actually as experience learned us, to create a good documentation is more a question
of structuring the documentation to avoid what we have
now in Confluence: a mess with a lot of obsolete (or hard to tell) pages :D

By using asciidoc, a version control tools to have the documentation as OFBiz code it should
be easier to avoid that.

I note though that it's all about reviewing, it was already possible in Confluence but it
did not work because it was harder to follow, organise and
structure.

I think we already agreed about using Confluence as less as possible. Mostly for important
generic points like Guides, FAQ, Tutos, etc.

In Confluence we can also import data from svn, it's already used for some specific stuff
like Gradle.

I use https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/tools/updateWiki.bat for that, not sure it's
the best way, but for now it helps. The basic idea is to
have a SPOF (ie only one place for the source).

So we could for instance migrate, after cleaning and deleting a lot, the important Confluence
content to keep in a main documentation sub-dir (under
OFBiz root) under a format or another and render it automatically in HTML format to import
into Confluence

I read that some projects use o want to use BuibBot/Jenkins and https://jekyllrb.com/ for
doing somehow that

Just an idea...

Jacques

Le 08/02/2018 à 14:25, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> +++1 for manually reviewing, updating, restructuring and enhancing the documentation
instead of copy & paste!

> We know that the documentation has very different quality, is sometimes outdated or too
brief etc.

> I think it is of more value to take the chance to make the documentation itself better
in the course of the migration instead of simply having the
> old state in a new format.
>
> We should maybe also agree on writing new documentation (or anhancing a good amount of
documentation) directly in the new format instead of putting

--

Jacques Le Roux
400E Chemin de la Mouline