ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "Boyden, Timothy" <tboy...@Electroswitch.com>
Subject RE: Ofbiz to postgresSql connection problem
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2017 13:22:52 GMT
I have to agree, the documentation for setting up OFBiz with an external database is about
as clear as mud. For one there are multiple Wiki documents that describe different methods
to accomplish the task, rather than one officially accepted method. For example, I tried to
follow the Linux (CentOS) version of this Wiki page (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Setup+OFBiz+version+16.11.02+with+PostgreSQL+on+Windows)
and the compile command did not properly download and load the driver. However, I had success
following the older approach of manually adding the JDBC driver jar file to ${ofbiz install
dir}/framework/entity/lib/jdbc as described in this Wiki page ( https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide#ApacheOFBizTechnicalProductionSetupGuide-DatabaseSetup).
Of course, the jar file keeps getting wiped out if you run the cleanAll command. That took
a few install attempts to realize, as I fought with DB permission issues.

I think more attention in the startup documentation needs to address this issue, rather than
a passing comment, that it can (and is even recommended) that the software be setup with an
external DBMS.

The worst thing you can have, when trying to appeal to ERP solution evaluators, is a software
solution that is frustrating to install. A Demo site that doesn't work is the first red flag,
but I give that a pass, as we really need to see the software with our own data, in order
to fully evaluate it.

That is why I am recommending that Yum, Apt, Windows, etc... installers be made available
with appropriate install options for clean install and demo install. The software should be
installable from software repositories, just like any other modern Linux or Windows application.
I have been implementing ERP systems for over 10 years now, and if I didn't like a challenge,
would have given up on OFBiz after the first failed install attempt, following the published
startup instructions. The last thing an ERP system implementer needs on a go-live weekend,
is issues installing the software in the live environment. They already have a huge task ahead
of them, getting the business's data loaded in the system.

Regards,

Tim Boyden