ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Paul Mandeltort <p...@marcospec.com>
Subject Re: Price List in Ofbiz - Robust?
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:15:28 GMT
OEM ID is for example the OEM marketing model number, say like an Apple MacBook Mid 2013 had
a OEM ID of A1465.

Categories in OFbiz are a broad data structures that integrate well with lots of things including
the pricing engine.  Parts get tricky, because a part itself can have a OEM, the thing the
part goes into can have a different OEM, and the supplier you get the part from could be a
third party.

So if you have a tire that is for Ford cars, make a special Ford category, then in the setup
for that category associate it with your Ford party if you need that level of data.

(Product/Catalog Manger -> Category -> Parties (/catalog/control/EditCategory?productCategoryId=CATEGORYNAME).

Since Categories in OFbiz are many-to-many, this gives you a lot of flexibility. You’ll
end up with at least two hierarchies then, one for your OEM brands and one for your functional
categories.

Suppliers is where you’d track the actual supplier for a given part, which can often differ
from the manufacturer like if it’s after-market or via a distributor.

—P