ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clean Slate
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 10:16:11 GMT
inline

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:

> Le 08/05/2017 à 10:20, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
>
>> I don't think we need to repeat ourselves. The discussion in this thread
>> already mentioned names to replace loadDefault
>>

> So I understand that loadAllData, which is quite clear, is OK to replace
> loadDefault

The only one who proposed loadAllData is you

> As for shutdown, this is again repeating a discussion that was had a while
>> ago and shows in detail why it was not _replaced_
>>
> Please do you have a reference I can't find nor remember an explanation :/
> Maybe few words again would be easier?

"shutdown" is a server command (probably since the beginning of the
project), "stop" was an ant target. We discussed in the ML and JIRA
multiple times that we should reduce the amount of tasks to a minimum and
instead let users control the system directly by issuing server commands.
The server commands are --start --shutdown --load-data --test --portoffset
and --help

I don't have a problem in renaming --shutdown to --stop as a server
command. The problem is in adding new shortcut tasks in gradle because you
then lose the flexibility of issuing commands to OFBiz. The only shortcut
commands that exist are loadDefault and testIntegration because we have to
run them every time before making a commit "gradlew cleanAll loadDefault
testIntegration". Beyond that, we're just repeating ourselves needlessly
and confusing users. One example where we lose value is in debugging. For
example, take the following variations:

./gradlew "ofbiz --test"
./gradlew "ofbizDebug --test"
./gradlew "ofbiz --shutdown"
./gradlew "ofbizDebug --shutdown"

As you can can see, giving the user flexibility in debugging whatever
command she issues is an advantage. If users, however, are not familiar
with the server commands and they rely on the shortcut commands, then they
lose the above mentioned advantage.