ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Terminology
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2017 07:22:54 GMT
Hi Craig,

Simply put, an organisation is a human construct to name a grouping of
parties. This can mean a group, a team, etc. of natural or legal entities.
Often the organisation becomes a legal entity on its own (company,
foundations, union, etc.)

Regarding facilities, you could see them as constructs that are often
associated with an asset. But in accounting one often sees this limited to
fixed assets, facilitating a specific purpose. Think plot, building
(office, warehouse, manufacturing location). Along that line, a hot dog
stand (a table, with a heater on it) would not qualify due to its size or
value. But you may decide otherwise.

Parties are all the human and legal entities one can think of. For the sake
of clarity excludes animals (animals are an other kind of resources). The
human entitites are associated with the OFBiz construct PERSON, while the
legal entities are associated with the construct PARTY_GROUP.

As with any other ERP solution, business terminology is abundantly used to
explain functions and constructs in OFBiz. There are similarities with
other business software packages and there deviations.

The book mentioned by Taher explains where OFBiz partly comes from, data
model-wise. But beware, it hasn't been applied to the letter, as deviations
from it were implemented. While the book provides a great help
understanding OFBiz partly, there are 2 other volumes that delve deeper
into data models for specific target areas. You also have to keep in mind
that it is just a model, trying to reflect a reality at a certain moment in
time. It can be outdated/incomplete at points.

Whenever you feel uncertainty or doubt popping up about how something is to
be used with, or applied in OFBiz, do NOT hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services