ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: OfBiz POS for Weighbridge
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:14:01 GMT

I would still add an cheap intermediate box - small format box with
RS232 on USB, Ethernet, tiny disk (use SSD if the location dusty or
subject to vibration) and a couple of Gigs of RAM running Linux. Might
even be a candidate for a Raspberry Pi or one of its commercial cousins!
  Does not need a screen, keyboard or mouse once setup. Just set it next
to the Digital Indicator (or attach it to the DI with double sided tape)
and plug it into the LAN or go wireless.

- isolation from changes in OFBiz - new versions, bug fixes
- isolation from OFBiz if you decide to go to another ERP
- can write a clean API that will be resistant to change on the
Weighbridge/DI side.
- easier to debug RS232 issues, reset probably easier, trace generation
- validation easier,
- can log its own audit trail if required. Got request at hh:mm, took
reading x, took picture#, sent it at hh:mm, received OFBiz conformation
of message accepted at HH:MM.
- easier to test the web service API on the box and could also be
helpful in testing the OFBiz client side (generate mock transactions)
- easier to control a webcam from a simple program rather than trying to
add camera control to OFBiz. OFBiz can get camera image anytime it is
needed in OFBiz.
  OFBiz only need to know that it requires an image to be taken and what
API (Webservice? call) it has to issue to get it done.
- less customization of OFBiz and the customization should fit better
with OFBiz normal use and customization patterns.
- OFBiz can trigger the capture of current Weighbridge through API -
simple code that should be easy to inject into the POS flow.

If you do not get any other comments, you might want to describe in
detail your thoughts on the POS workflow to get some expert comment on
how your specific requirements fit into the OFBiz POS flow and how hard
it would be to inject the API calls at the correct points.
It is easier (and more fun) to criticize a detailed design than to try
to propose a design for someone else's situation. Just human nature;-)

Ron