ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: using H2 database for accelerated development
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2015 01:13:11 GMT
Windows 7
Dataram RAMDisk v4.1
http://www.dataram.com
I am using the free version. I have a 8GB Toshiba laptop and have set
aside 2 GB for Eclipse/STS, Java 8 JDK, Maven, DITA-OT and a build
directory for DITA.
Windows seems to be able to open a lot of windows with lots of process
even with 6 GB.

The DITA-OT is for documentation and it thrashes the disk since it has
many phases that each read one set of small files (~120) and writes them
back out.
Getting them in memory makes a big difference when I am actively writing
or maintaining docs.

Eclipse/STS has a lot of plug-ins and putting this in RAM has made
Eclipse quite snappy which it was not when it was sitting on the
laptop's hard disk.

I don't put anything on the RAMDrive that I need to be sure that it will
be preserved over a crash. Windows 7 is pretty stable but not perfect.

I suspect that it would be good for a test database where you have lots
of tables but not much data and want to refresh it frequently. Putting
the seed data on the RAMDrive would seem to make a lot of sense since it
is made up of a lot of files that need to be opened and read.
I would make sure that I did my mods to config files and seed data using
a master copy on a physical drive so you do not lose work if the
RAMDrive suddenly disappears in a crash.

I have never had the RAMDrive fail on its own but I have had Windows
lock up  where a forced reboot was required.
I would love to put my Eclipse Workspace on the RAMDrive.
I did at first and it really made Eclipse fun to use but when I lost a
1/2 days work in a crash, I decided that I could stand a bit of a
slowdown in return for peace of mind.

This should be faster than an SSD but it is small and takes memory from
Windows.
A bigger memory configuration backed by a SSD harddrive would be my wish
for my next PC. I would probably still use a RAMDrive to get that extra
bit of snappiness in Eclipse.

Ron