ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: OFBiz Extensions Marketplace (OEM) - progress
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:33:22 GMT
I tend to agree with Gil and Michael. They did a good work to explain their opinions so I'll
not add mine. I just wanted to say that the 1st tentative
was done by Ruth long ago and like all the others it finally failed due to the lack of users
interest. Of course another point in doing such endeavour
is marketing, I believe on this part Ruth succeeded, her books having helped certainly more.
Her platform was more to sold her books than offering 3rd
parties solutions, but not only, Sharan collaborated with her for instance.

I also believe only a community driven version can be sustainable. Now I'm not sure the community
will be able build something like Hans's,
OFBiz-France's and Pierre's solutions. So we might ask ourselves how to maybe mix these experiences
and UIs in one and consistent shared solution,
backed by infra at the ASF (we could use the OFBIZ-VM for that).

My 2 cts

Jacques

Le 13/09/2015 17:35, Gil portenseigne a écrit :
> Hi Pierre, hi all,
>
> I agree with Micheal opinion, since there was some others initiative about this kind
of proposal (thinking about OFBiz-extra and OFBiz-france
> association proposals), none found enough adoption into the community to get it work
(yet). So each had to work on its own creating its solutions
> (these add to Hans' one)
>
> I'm convinced that an official Apache referencing website is the best way to do. Apache
referencing has more value (and objectivity) than any
> external owning referencing tool but in that case, there must be some control about the
references into the "marketplace" (don't like this word, I
> prefer "extension library"). Indeed, extension have to be tested and validated by the
community to make the marketplace an Apache one... I guess
> there are quality/licensing/other responsibilities for extensions released under Apache
OFBiz name.

> So, in my opinion, there is some work to do before creating such a marketplace under
Apache OFBiz name, writing some rules about extensions
> validations (using incubator to validation process), requirement... And moreover. This
kind of work have already been done in OFbiz-france
> association... If this can be levered to the Apache level, it could be great...
>
> It seems that more and more people are interested in this kind of solution, i wonder
if it's possible to manage such a project ? WDYT ?

> I'm thinking that doing a survey about this idea to get what kind of adoption there is
around it could be a good start.

> And for examples of implementation : OFBiz-france has worked on a POC and there you can
see list of extensions and details of one :
>  http://www.nomaka.fr/ofbiz/liste.html
>  http://www.nomaka.fr/ofbiz/index.html
>
> And for info all of this is designed like in the OFBiz-france website (created with OFBiz
CMS :o) ).
>  http://www.ofbiz-fr.org
>
> I'm curious to have many thoughts about this subject.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Gil
>
> On 13/09/2015 12:54, Michael Brohl wrote:
>> Hi Pierre,
>>
>> I very much like the idea of a community driven marketing initiative and I appreciate
your efforts on this. It could be a great opportunity for the
>> community members to present their skills and solutions and show the users what's
possible to do with OFBiz outside the standard funtionality.

see http://ofbiz.info . As far as I see, this approach never
>> gained significant success and it seems dead for a few years now (at least the latest
news is from 2012).

>> My theory is, and I might be totally wrong with it, that this is caused by the fact
that the platform is in the hands of a single company and
>> primarily used to promote this company itself. This seems to be the plan of your
approach also, your companies and trademarks are placed
>> prominently at the starting page, using adserver links etc..
>>
>> I think this approach goes in the wrong direction and won't get enough acceptance
and support by the community to be successful.

>> From my perspective, the right approach would be to develop and host such a site
in the hands of the community, just like the OFBiz official
>> website and demo sites. It should be a neutral place where every contributor and
service provider has the same space to present his services and
>> solutions. It must be assured that the platform is supported over a long time and
that the community can decide which way to go with it.

>> I think the risk to have it in the hands of a single person or company is too high
to spent significant time and effort in it.

>> This is just my thought of the current state of the initiative and maybe I misunderstood
the approach. My apologies if that's the case.

>> Maybe I'm right and you think over the approach. Any thoughts of you and the other
community members are very welcome, I'm curious what you think.