ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Gabriel Oberreuter <goberreu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new functionality: payments collection
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2015 12:43:36 GMT
Hi Sharan, of course, no problem. We are still developing this functionality,
but right now it is already being used and liked by our users.

I would like to point a few thoughts about the erp decition process we went
through:
As discussed before in the forums, when deciding which ERP to implement it
is important to clear a few points:

- does the solution meets the company requirements, in general terms?
- how many companies are using the solution worldwide? in our country?
- which big companies choose it?
- whats the cost of buying and implementing the solution?
- if the implementation must be done by the company itself, does it have the
proper team to do so? is the solution well documented?
- in case of problems or any specific need, is there easy to access teams
willing to be paid to get them solved?

I think that, once technical issues are solved (the solution meet
technically the requirements), the decision is mostly emotional: the company
need to trust that the implementation process will be succesful.

Yesterday I was reading a post about the goals of ofbiz development: should
it be to create a product? a better framework? I think that both.

By its very nature, ERP needs customization for each company implementing
it: by industry, by country, by specific needs, and so on. So a great
framework is a must. But at the same time, as a starting point one needs as
a complete product as possible. I think that now Ofbiz kind of meet these.
The documentation is a bit unorganized, and the only good way to get to know
the system is to play with it, to develop some components, to try and
implement some functionality and use it in a daily basis.

Anyway, I am happy that we decided to go with Ofbiz, and so far it has been
a great experience. In general terms all the code follows a logic, and by
understanding it and learning which patterns the framework uses, it is not
that hard.

Just my 2 cents.