ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A New Initiative
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 15:19:44 GMT
Hi Sharan, Ron and everyone,

This thread mirrors what we discussed on Pierre's thread on having a software eco-system around
OFBiz. It seems many of the topics are repeating around a central idea. In a nutshell, OFBiz
is not designed in a very modular way and components depend on each other too much.

I like the idea of moving the services and entities into a central location, but I do not
think this is a permanent fix for the root of the problem. The question still remains: How
do we break this thing down into reasonable chunks that are easy to manage ?

So, although there is a lot of effort in cleaning the components up, we first need to focus
on the framework design itself. If we introduce a change that adds better modularity then
we can slowly evolve the system because the architecture allows it and we do not have to do
any crazy superman efforts to fix things.

IMHO we should finalize the discussion that took place a while ago on the strategy. We have
multiple options to choose from, for example:

- Introduce Moqui as the core framework for the system
- Introduce a plugin framework like Apache Felix or Eclipse Equinox
- Write custom code to allow loose coupling. For example, we design the framework so that
a component would not fail if it does not find resources from another component and there
would be a graceful exception handling that would simply ignore the missing pieces and operate
with whatever is left.
- Work on, improve and integrate the OFBiz addon manager (ADM) and make it part of the framework

- Another solution for example is to strip out anything that is shared between any two components
into a separate component so that you have a component dependency structure that is 100% tree-like,
just branching out so for example, if order depends on accounting and accounting depends on
order, move stuff out from both components into a shared lower level component (including
widgets)

Bottom line, let's agree on a strategy, this is so important and would save us hundreds of
hours of cleanup work and really push us all in one direction.

My personal preference is with a proven plugin architecture like the ones I mentioned above
(Felix or Equinox). However, Any of the above or even other solutions are also good. Anything
is better than not choosing a strategy.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Taher Alkhateeb.