ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: A New Initiative
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2015 13:37:13 GMT
+1
Are we in a position to make a decision about the Framework?
- Drop it as a product
- Fix so it is a product
- Replace it with another framework.

It is the first thing that needs to be cleaned up to deal with the
issues that Taher raises about add-ons.

Then we can look at defining a clean interface for add-ons where a
person can build an add-on and a user can adopt it without breaking the
implied warranty offered by an Apache project.

Ron

On 31/08/2015 4:13 AM, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:
> Hi Pierre and everyone,
>
> I like your idea but also observe a bit of a challenge in implementing it due to an inherent
problem in the design of OFBiz architecture.

> One of the things I suffered with personally while developing with OFBiz is in terms
of component dependency. I think that OFBiz as it currently stands does not have a proper
architecture allowing loose coupling of components. I especially had a problem with this in
BIRT.

> So why is this a problem? Because additional plugins would naturally need to modify some
core component(s) and there needs to be a two-way communication between the components, and
this needs to be done in a way whereby you can easily remove or upgrade a component and your
application would continue operating without damaging the system.

> So I think having a software eco-system around OFBiz would require first implementing
a proper architecture using something like OSGI. We might look at existing implementations
like http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/ or http://felix.apache.org/ and figure out how to integrate
them.

> If we do not implement something like the above, then you might be susceptible to conflicts
between plugins, inability to update or uninstall plugins, inability to track database changes,
and other issues on a similar line.

--
Ron Wheeler
President