ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: VAT Setup
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:17:45 GMT
Peter,

Inline...

Le 11/08/2015 16:50, Peter Arnold a écrit :
> Jaques,
>
> Thank you for this hint. With this description of course I would have succeeded earlier.
Though the very important part would be to know how you track down such a problem and even
get to know that the service "createProductPrice" is responsible for the problem one experiences.

Because I had to look at it before, I even fixed/clarified the description at r1613121
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ofbiz/trunk/applications/product/servicedef/services.xml?r1=1613121&r2=1613120&pathrev=1613121

> Of course the debugging knowledge here plays an important role. I think this is also
why many possible users of OFBiz are finding it hard to get started.
> Personally I am not a developer even though I like the topic quite a lot and my informatic
skills are also not so bad. I am running OFBiz through Eclipse Luna but am still not able
to use debugging functions within Eclipse since during setup there are several errors which
I was not able to resolve. So I depend mainly on the logs and on my still limited knowledge
of OFBiz. Ftl, groovy and Java are causing also problems and therefore I am not always able
to follow through the code, especially when variables are taken out of available context.
As I said, I am not a developer.

> It would be great if you could give some hints on how to improve the ability to debug
the system.

It seems you are already doing good. I guess you found the page about the Eclipse Debugger
in the wiki. But anyway In this case the Eclipse Java
debugger was not needed. It's only a description into a (XML) service definition. You though
need to know that prices are created (stored in DB) with
createProductPrice service. That you should be able to find in the log. You should also then
be able to read the createProductPrice service
implementation and get your own idea about it, that's how I fixed the description.

Actually most of the time you start from the log, and then follow the flow until you reach
the point were the issue is. Of course It needs some time
to get acquainted...

HTH

Jacques

> I know that I am asking a complicated and wide ranging question but you know "It's better
to learn fishing than to receive some fishes for free...)