ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Sharan-F <sharan.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MARKETING] OFBiz Marketing Roadmap and Strategy
Date Sun, 24 May 2015 18:04:25 GMT
Hi Julien

Thanks for the links. I like what have you have done especially the
indication of what is compatible with which OFBiz versions.
*
Which area of OFBiz to promote?*
Well I know there are discussions currently in progress about what to do and
whether we could split off the ERP part from the framework.

Until a final decision and consensus is found then we need to continue as if
the OFBiz product will remain the same as it is now. (so an ERP in some
cases in need of customisation and the application development framework).

To me this means that we will probably need to look at marketing to two
distinct groups

1) Developers who want to customise the ERP or use the framework
2) Business Users who could use the ERP either out of the box (as they may
only want a particular module) or think that OFBiz could be easily adapted
to meet their needs.

If we are to focus on these two groups then we can see that different
marketing approaches will be needed.

The developers would need to understand the benefits of the framework, how
it works and how to develop in it. I think this information is pretty much
included as part of the Technical documentation.  I'm not sure how much they
use the OFBiz demo as it is although the Example application is important.

The business users would also need to understand the benefits of using OFBiz
and why it might be easier to implement. They want details of what features
it includes and what business processes it supports. With it being free and
open source we may need to show project maturity and ongoing development,
good references and experienced implementors. Their first look at OFBiz is
extremely important so what they see and how it looks and feels is key to
keeping them interested – so this is why I think the OFBiz demo could be
more targeted towards them.  (We currently have links to 2 OFBiz demos on
the main website page now so the idea of having 2 demos one targeted for
developers and the other for business users might be worth considering....)

We have several products that are built on OFBiz and yes I think that we
could also give them some marketing space because promoting them is also
promoting OFBiz. I have some ideas for some potential improvements for the
Service Providers page and also a page promoting OFBiz related products so
will be highlighting those on this list under the 'Marketing' threads

Thanks
Sharan