ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Sharan-F <sharan.f...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION] OFBiz End User Wiki Documentation
Date Thu, 21 May 2015 16:59:49 GMT
Hi Everyone

i'd like to put forward another proposal for discussion around the project
End User Documentation.

We know that we have incomplete documentation and need an active strategy to
complete it. The help itself can be divided it into two distinct areas

1. Online / in Application Help *(NOTE*: A discussion for this has been
started in another thread)
2. User Documentation on the Wiki

*
User Documentation on the Wiki *
Our current End User Documentation is fragmented (End User Docs,
Requirements and Designs, Wiki) and mixed in with various other
documentation on the Wiki. Attempts have been made to create the
documentation but the level of information required has been varied and
unclear.

Confluence is the Apache tool for managing wiki but it does have its limits
that have caused frustration in the past.

*Proposal*
Our community surveys show that we don't have a lot of typical 'End Users'
in our Community Base. The users that we do have are more 'Key Users' or
'Application Experts'. What I mean here is that they are users that
understand their own business flows and are interested in knowing how to
setup OFBiz for their business.

Rather than be focussed on End Users – I think this documentation could be
focussed on the 'Key Users' and giving them the information they need to
configure or setup OFBiz for a business. As a possible guide it  could
contain the following:

- business process flows
- use cases
- application guide (details and steps for implementing the process flow)
- configuration instructions
- tips and tricks
- glossary
- details about data loading (e.g seed or production data)

*Key Benefit*
Our user documentation has a clear purpose rather than trying to fulfill
mulitple different roles

Once again these are my initial thoughts so am very happy (and keen) to get
feedback from the community (especially user) about this.

Thanks
Sharan