ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Understanding release and branch differences
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 20:14:15 GMT
Hi Jacques,

Thank you for your valuable input below and it was good to go through the links. It seem there
is no ambiguity in the release _mechanism_ and how it works. However, I am trying to understand
_purpose_ with the specific context of OFBiz .

Let me try to ask another way: Why would I pull 13.07.01 instead of pulling the latest revision
of the 13.07 branch when working for a new project for example? When would it make since to
go for the 13.07.XX instead of just the latest revision given that you already indicated that
the whole branch is considered stable?

Taher Alkhateeb

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com>
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Sent: Monday, 27 October, 2014 1:20:18 PM
Subject: Re: Understanding release and branch differences

Le 27/10/2014 08:31, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to understand the exact difference between branch and release
> strategies or guidelines. I am wondering about questions like:
>
> - What is the difference between 12.04 and 12.04.03 for example

R12.04 is a branch in the project. From time to time a release is produced from this branch,
until the branch is no longer supported.
Here supported means that bug fixes are no longer backported from the trunk to this branch

> - How long do you maintain each release of a branch

We don't maintain releases, they are frozen when packaged. We maintain branches as explained
above
Most of the time it's around 3 years, for instance the R11.04 branch is no longer supported

This is explained a bit at https://ofbiz.apache.org/download.html
Did you read it? If yes, what did you miss there (apart the end of support dates)
BTW on this subject you might be interested by these discussions
http://markmail.org/message/rwvvvkvd56sw2lfb
http://markmail.org/message/ta2b6tlyidvaeaap

> - What should happen to production environments when a new release of a
> branch is issued. Should the vendor upgrade to the new release?

That's indeed a possibility, or you can select the patches to apply manually in your custom
project, maybe easier if you want to pick only bug fixes
and few new features.

> - Is there a risk of pulling directly from the branch vs release? stability
> issues?

Not at all, only the trunk receives new features. Once created the releases branches receives
only bug fixes.
In some exceptional cases, when there is total consensus in the dev community, some new features
are applied to fresh new branches.

> - How many releases are there per branch? What tests should they pass to be
> considered releases?
For the number of releases per branch, it depends on the branch (for instance when a vulnerability
is fixed a release is "immediately" packaged),
normally it's around 5 or 6.
They pass the CI tests which run at (for instance) http://ci.apache.org/builders/ofbiz-branch13

You might have a look at all the results of the tests there http://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/logs/

Also before the package is officialy released, a vote is done and people participating are
testing the releases in their environment, not only CI tests.

HTH

Jacques