ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "joelfradkin@gmail.com" <joelfrad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Who uses OFBiz?
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:01:57 GMT
There is lots of documentation online and it is in the process of being
improved.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index

Most of the books you can buy are up to date. There is a good book by Ruth
Hoffman for development.
OFBiz Develope's Course Workbook. Apache OFBiz Development by Jonathon Wong,
Rupert Howell seemed a bit older but it covers FTL and has info on entity. I
do not have the latest Cookbook so can not comment on how up to dat eit is.
I have an older copy and it has great coverage of how to do this  and that,
so if ther is a specific project it covers it would be worth the cost. I did
my development for like 2 months before I bought books. I bought all that
are out there and it was not more than 500.00. Some are more for users than
developers. Sharon Foga has one on Accounting I like, and one on MRP. Ruth
has one on eCommerce. I was able to use PostgreSQL so it does support many
databases as you pointed out. There are many great tutorials by Hotwax and
on the main documentation. I believe I found at least three online that
walked you through development of a hot deploy project, and I think Hotwax
released another that looked good, so there is plenty of free help. We are
using it to add inventory control to a Point of sale system written in ruby.
I highly recommend OFBiz as it is well thought out. The building blocks
provided give an excellent Java stack (can be deployed on windows, and Linux
very easy and other platforms that support java). It has freemarker, and
groovy built in. The entity engine is robust. I have found it an excellent
environment to do our development in.

-----
Joel Fradkin