ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Who uses OFBiz?
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 08:58:25 GMT
Hi Chloé,

We started a company with OFBiz being one of the main components in our
value proposition. We compared OFBiz at length with OpenERP and we
understand your frustration with their sort of restrictive management of
the project which was a big turn-off for us as well. I can highlight the
differences as follows:

OFBiz pros:
- Excellent domain model as you mentioned based on a very well thought book
by Len Silverston
- Easy to quickly dive under the hood. The code is just accessible and
understandable.
- Design is well thought, flexible, and independent of programming
languages and operating systems (just a JVM framework). Python is a
beautiful language but it cannot act as a full operating environment like
the JVM does.
- Robust, solid and battle-tested.
- Real open community and by observing their work I would very smart people
too!

OFBiz cons:
- The user interface is just ugly in comparison with OpenERP. You can
overcome that by working for a while on themes and getting your CSS
resources right.
- Steep learning curve (at least for me) .. it took me a while before I got
comfortable with the framework.
- I would not say documentation for OFBiz is scarce, but rather scattered.
It's not well organized into one nice document that comes bundled with each
release for example. You have to dig in between the wiki, the JIRAs, other
websites and derivative projects. I found a lot of material, but it just
took me a while to find it.

If we had to redo the exercise after what we learned we would still choose
OFBiz hands down, but the learning curve is still an issue.

My 2 cents if it helps

Taher Alkhateeb