ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: Onboarding strategy for Newcomers
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:54:57 GMT

Le 10/08/2014 19:21, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
> The point of my document was to present an approach to organizing the documentation in
a way that reflects the different phases of adoption.
> I am happy that you identified some of the existing documents.
>
> Are there any suggestions for improving or correcting my breakdown.
>
> There is also the need for documentation that is required by new developers and it might
be helpful to have some of the senior contributors take a
> few minutes to identify a roadmap that a person wanting to join the development team
should follow.

We have https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Tutorial+-+A+Beginners+Development+Guide
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

> What are the key documents (Architecture, schema docs, framework docs) that a new person
should read before they read any code?

> What are the key documents that someone should read before submitting a JIRA? before
attempting a patch? before creating a new feature? (if that is

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index#OFBizDocumentationIndex-MainDocumentation

> What documents are currently out of date and need to be updated?

Good question, there are much and I see no way but looking at the whole :/

> What internal documents should be retired?

old void pages are good candidates, some FAQ entries. I also answered in another recent email.

> What documents should be reorganized to make them easier to maintain - for example, separate
concepts from version specific info to reduce the scope
> and size of the documents that need regular updating?

I see no such concerned documents from the top of my head

Jacques

> Ron
>

> On 10/08/2014 6:18 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

that can be addressed in OfBiz.
project community rather than worrying about adoption by users.

>>> Yes

an organization goes through during the implementation.

and am still at stage 1 of the OfBiz implementation process.
40 years with roles ranging from the most junior programmer on the team
the RFP and the recommendation to management.
a discussion about this potential way to look at the documentation.
so that people could take issue with my suggestions in a concrete way.

a few seconds to consider the various stages where you think the

if the organization is looking at reselling or providing services based on

to summarize this page but it's incomplete

>>> It would be nice to have some articles explaining how organizations have benefited
from adopting OfBiz.

>> We have this https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+List
and especially this
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+Stories

by the late Tom Burn which is now in the branch
an addon has been created by the Noegia team

only scale by adding DBs though... So limited
>>> Behind the firewall - installation on the organizations own hardware.

though we are a bit late on this :/

>>> Is there a doc describing the features/architecture/release process/bugs/etc.
 from the point of view of stability and reliability

>> I don't think we have something like that. It's not even clear to me what you look
for. Though not from a stability and reliability POV, We have
>> doc for
>> features (see above).
>> Nothing for architecture, though I saw dozens in projects but nothing was ever contributed
>> For the release process we have https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan
>>
>> Jacques

in the SaaS version - Not an Apache problem but perhaps of concern to

to support the internal team or they may go it alone if they have the

being owned and read by the team at this point.
books is the least of the expense.

about purchasing them or not and some guidance about which
of "Books about OfBiz" and if there is any information that is critical

and has a plan for all customization required.
is preparing to purchase any equipment required and is setting up QA

that can be branded and customized