ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: Onboarding strategy for Newcomers
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:18:56 GMT

Le 10/08/2014 06:05, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
> On 09/08/2014 7:11 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>> Le 08/08/2014 17:49, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>>> The documentation issues discussed in the paper are certainly a barrier that
can be addressed in OfBiz.
>>> The paper is a little bit focused on building the PMS and internal OSS project
community rather than worrying about adoption by users.

>> What is PMS? You mean PMC?
> Yes
>>

>>> As a potential user, I am going at the documentation problem from a bit of a
different POV.

>>> If we look at the adoption process, we can identify several stages that an organization
goes through during the implementation.

>>> In reading this, bear in mind that I have never done an implementation and am
still at stage 1 of the OfBiz implementation process.
>>> However I have been through this process a number of times over the last 40 years
with roles ranging from the most junior programmer on the team
>>> to Technical Support manger to lead architect to the consultant preparing the
RFP and the recommendation to management.
>>> I expect that I have missed many things but I wanted to at least start a discussion
about this potential way to look at the documentation.
>>> I have tried to be a definite as possible about what I think is required so that
people could take issue with my suggestions in a concrete way.
>>> Please feel free to add, delete or modify  this.
>>>
>>> I would also ask that people who have contributed documentation take a few seconds
to consider the various stages where you think the information
>>> contained therein is most helpful.
>>>

>>> 1) Selection.
>>> At this stage the new organization is looking at various alternatives from Quickbooks
to SAP.
>>> Key stakeholders - Accountants, business managers, IT, CFO, Marketing if the
organization is looking at reselling or providing services based on
>>> OfBiz.
>>> Important information:
>>> - Feature descriptions and customization possibilities
>>
>> Feature descriptions :
>> we have something up to 2004 https://web.archive.org/web/20100414073023/http://ofbiz.apache.org/feature-list.html
>> which could be updated based on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Main+New+Features
>> An effort has already been made https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Feature+summary
to summarize this page but it's incomplete

>> customization possibilities:
>> we have https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Addressing+Custom+Requirements+In+OFBiz
>> And soon the http://www.ofbiz-fr.org/ will make a proposition based on https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ofbiz-adm/
(now deprecated)
>> which is related with http://community.ofbizextra.org/community/control/COMMUNITY_HOME
>>
>>> - Organization profiles
>>
>> Could you elaborate?
> It would be nice to have some articles explaining how organizations have benefited from
adopting OfBiz.

We have this https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+List and
especially this
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+Stories

>>> - User interface and user documentation/ on-line help
>>
>> We have an online help in 2 forms, the ? button and demo-trunk-ofbiz.apache.org/cmssite/cms/APACHE_OFBIZ_HTML
>> There was also an effort https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4941 by the
late Tom Burn which is now in the branch
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/webhelp-2012-12-07 from which an
addon has been created by the Noegia team

>>> - Operational options - SaaS through a reliable supplier, BTF
>> SaaS: we have multi-tenant https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Multitenancy+support
only scale by adding DBs though... So limited to
>> small to medium numbers
>> What does BTF means?
> Behind the firewall - installation on the organizations own hardware.
>>
>>> - TCO for SaaS and BTF
>> TBD...
>>> - Standards
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Open+Source+Projects+and+Standards
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Best+Practices+Guide
>>

>>> - Support and technical documentation
>> http://ofbiz.apache.org/documentation.html
>>> - Feasibility - will it run in the IT infrastructure, can IT support it
>>
>> Yes they can. If they want to use an external app server there is with
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH/Run+OFBiz+under+outside+Application+Servers
though we are a bit late on this :/

>>> - Stability and operational reliability
>>
>> I think we are good :)
>>
> Is there a doc describing the features/architecture/release process/bugs/etc.  from the
point of view of stability and reliability

I don't think we have something like that. It's not even clear to me what you look for. Though
not from a stability and reliability POV, We have doc for
features (see above).
Nothing for architecture, though I saw dozens in projects but nothing was ever contributed
For the release process we have https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan

Jacques

>>> Demo should be available that looks attractive and easy to use.
>>
>> I think we have something good, I mean from http://ofbiz.apache.org/
>>
>>> Video demos of common user functions could be a positive factor
>>
>> We have some not bad too https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams
maybe a bit old, but still
>> relevant
>

>>> The goal is to get through this stage as the winner!
>>> If this part fails, the rest is pointless.
>>>
>>> 2) Demo
>>> At this stage the organization needs to see if the thing actually works as advertised.
>>> SaaS:
>>> Supplier demo site with the organizations logo showing functions available in
the SaaS version - Not an Apache problem but perhaps of concern to
>>> some who are offering OfBiz as SaaS
>>
>> We have some examples, we could link them from the multitenancy page...
>>
>> OK, I ran out of time, to be completed later...
>>
>> Jacques
>> PS: some cleaning should be done in the FAQ page https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/FAQ+-+Tips+-+Tricks+-+Cookbook+-+HowTo
>> Hope I will get some time... one day...
>>
>>> BTF:
>>> Stakeholders: IT Operations, Business Managers, System Analysts
>>>
>>> Important information
>>> - Installation documentation
>>> - User documentation
>>> - Feature Checklist
>>> - Video end-user Training
>>> - Architecture Overview
>>> - Customization Overview
>>> - Implementation plan/checklist
>>>
>>> 3) Implementation Planning
>>> In this stage, the development team may hire a consultant or sign a TSA to support
the internal team or they may go it alone if they have the
>>> right staff.
>>> The major task is to develop a requirements doc, a plan and a budget to get the
system operational.
>>> At the end of this step
>>> - the CFO should be able to give a Go/NoGo for the budget
>>> - the Business managers should be able to sign of on the functional requirements
>>> - IT Operations should be able to sign off on the Performance, Security and DR
capabilities

>>> Stakeholders: IT operations, System Analysts, Business managers, CFO
>>>
>>> Important Information
>>> - System initialization and data migration
>>> - Customization doc - Database, Framework, Tool list, Best Practices
>>> - Use cases
>>> - Customization templates - plans,  budget estimating tools
>>> - System Administration tools and environment docs
>>>
>>> The books that are recommended and available should be considered as being owned
and read by the team at this point.
>>> The organization is starting to expend significant resources and purchasing books
is the least of the expense.
>>> This may help reduce the amount of documentation required to be provided by Apache.
>>> New books could also be created to cover areas not well covered by existing books.
>>>
>>> Outdated books should be clearly identified as such with strong recommendations
about purchasing them or not and some guidance about which
>>> sections are particularly misleading.
>>> If this is too much work, the book should just be removed from the list of "Books
about OfBiz" and if there is any information that is critical
>>> and not covered elsewhere, it should be identified as documentation to be created.
>>>

>>> 4) Development
>>> At this stage, the implementation team has received the go ahead to implement
and has a plan for all customization required.
>>> The development team is having fun with code and the IT operations group is preparing
to purchase any equipment required and is setting up QA