ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Onboarding strategy for Newcomers
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2014 04:05:55 GMT
On 09/08/2014 7:11 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Le 08/08/2014 17:49, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> The documentation issues discussed in the paper are certainly a
>> barrier that can be addressed in OfBiz.
>> The paper is a little bit focused on building the PMS and internal
>> OSS project community rather than worrying about adoption by users.
>>

> What is PMS? You mean PMC?
Yes

>> As a potential user, I am going at the documentation problem from a
>> bit of a different POV.
>>
>> If we look at the adoption process, we can identify several stages
>> that an organization goes through during the implementation.
>>
>> In reading this, bear in mind that I have never done an
>> implementation and am still at stage 1 of the OfBiz implementation
>> process.
>> However I have been through this process a number of times over the
>> last 40 years with roles ranging from the most junior programmer on
>> the team to Technical Support manger to lead architect to the
>> consultant preparing the RFP and the recommendation to management.
>> I expect that I have missed many things but I wanted to at least
>> start a discussion about this potential way to look at the
>> documentation.
>> I have tried to be a definite as possible about what I think is
>> required so that people could take issue with my suggestions in a
>> concrete way.
>> Please feel free to add, delete or modify  this.
>>
>> I would also ask that people who have contributed documentation take
>> a few seconds to consider the various stages where you think the
>> information contained therein is most helpful.
>>

>> 1) Selection.
>> At this stage the new organization is looking at various alternatives
>> from Quickbooks to SAP.
>> Key stakeholders - Accountants, business managers, IT, CFO, Marketing
>> if the organization is looking at reselling or providing services
>> based on OfBiz.
>> Important information:
>> - Feature descriptions and customization possibilities
>
> Feature descriptions :
> we have something up to 2004
> https://web.archive.org/web/20100414073023/http://ofbiz.apache.org/feature-list.html
> which could be updated based on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Main+New+Features
> An effort has already been made
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Feature+summary to
> summarize this page but it's incomplete
>
> customization possibilities:
> we have
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Addressing+Custom+Requirements+In+OFBiz
> And soon the http://www.ofbiz-fr.org/ will make a proposition based on
> https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ofbiz-adm/ (now
> deprecated) which is related with
> http://community.ofbizextra.org/community/control/COMMUNITY_HOME
>
>> - Organization profiles
>
> Could you elaborate?
It would be nice to have some articles explaining how organizations have
benefited from adopting OfBiz.

>> - User interface and user documentation/ on-line help
>
> We have an online help in 2 forms, the ? button and
> demo-trunk-ofbiz.apache.org/cmssite/cms/APACHE_OFBIZ_HTML
> There was also an effort
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4941 by the late Tom Burn
> which is now in the branch
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/webhelp-2012-12-07
> from which an addon has been created by the Noegia team

>> - Operational options - SaaS through a reliable supplier, BTF
> SaaS: we have multi-tenant
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Multitenancy+support
> only scale by adding DBs though... So limited to small to medium numbers
> What does BTF means?
Behind the firewall - installation on the organizations own hardware.

>> - TCO for SaaS and BTF
> TBD...
>> - Standards
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Open+Source+Projects+and+Standards

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Best+Practices+Guide
>

>> - Support and technical documentation
> http://ofbiz.apache.org/documentation.html
>> - Feasibility - will it run in the IT infrastructure, can IT support it
>
> Yes they can. If they want to use an external app server there is with
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBTECH/Run+OFBiz+under+outside+Application+Servers

> though we are a bit late on this :/
>
>> - Stability and operational reliability
>
> I think we are good :)

Is there a doc describing the features/architecture/release
process/bugs/etc.  from the point of view of stability and reliability

--
Ron Wheeler
President