ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Onboarding strategy for Newcomers
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2014 15:49:45 GMT
The documentation issues discussed in the paper are certainly a barrier
that can be addressed in OfBiz.
The paper is a little bit focused on building the PMS and internal OSS
project community rather than worrying about adoption by users.

As a potential user, I am going at the documentation problem from a bit
of a different POV.

If we look at the adoption process, we can identify several stages that
an organization goes through during the implementation.

In reading this, bear in mind that I have never done an implementation
and am still at stage 1 of the OfBiz implementation process.
However I have been through this process a number of times over the last
40 years with roles ranging from the most junior programmer on the team
to Technical Support manger to lead architect to the consultant
preparing the RFP and the recommendation to management.
I expect that I have missed many things but I wanted to at least start a
discussion about this potential way to look at the documentation.
I have tried to be a definite as possible about what I think is required
so that people could take issue with my suggestions in a concrete way.
Please feel free to add, delete or modify  this.

I would also ask that people who have contributed documentation take a
few seconds to consider the various stages where you think the
information contained therein is most helpful.

1) Selection.
At this stage the new organization is looking at various alternatives
from Quickbooks to SAP.
Key stakeholders - Accountants, business managers, IT, CFO, Marketing if
the organization is looking at reselling or providing services based on
OfBiz.
Important information:
- Feature descriptions and customization possibilities
- Organization profiles
- User interface and user documentation/ on-line help
- Operational options - SaaS through a reliable supplier, BTF
- TCO for SaaS and BTF
- Standards
- Support and technical documentation
- Feasibility - will it run in the IT infrastructure,  can IT support it
- Stability and operational reliability

Demo should be available that looks attractive and easy to use.
Video demos of common user functions could be a positive factor

The goal is to get through this stage as the winner!
If this part fails, the rest is pointless.

2) Demo
At this stage the organization needs to see if the thing actually works
as advertised.
SaaS:
Supplier demo site with the organizations logo showing functions
available in the SaaS version - Not an Apache problem but perhaps of
concern to some who are offering OfBiz as SaaS
BTF:
Stakeholders: IT Operations, Business Managers, System Analysts

Important information
- Installation documentation
- User documentation
- Feature Checklist
- Video end-user Training
- Architecture Overview
- Customization Overview
- Implementation plan/checklist

3) Implementation Planning
In this stage, the development team may hire a consultant or sign a TSA
to support the internal team or they may go it alone if they have the
right staff.
The major task is to develop a requirements doc, a plan and a budget to
get the system operational.
At the end of this step
- the CFO should be able to give a Go/NoGo for the budget
- the Business managers should be able to sign of on the functional
requirements
- IT Operations should be able to sign off on the Performance, Security
and DR capabilities

Stakeholders: IT operations, System Analysts, Business managers, CFO

Important Information
- System initialization and data migration
- Customization doc - Database, Framework, Tool list, Best Practices
- Use cases
- Customization templates - plans,  budget estimating tools
- System Administration tools and environment docs

The books that are recommended and available should be considered as
being owned and read by the team at this point.
The organization is starting to expend significant resources and
purchasing books is the least of the expense.
This may help reduce the amount of documentation required to be provided
by Apache.
New books could also be created to cover areas not well covered by
existing books.

Outdated books should be clearly identified as such with strong
recommendations about purchasing them or not and some guidance about
which sections are particularly misleading.
If this is too much work, the book should just be removed from the list
of "Books about OfBiz" and if there is any information that is critical
and not covered elsewhere, it should be identified as documentation to
be created.

4) Development
At this stage, the implementation team has received the go ahead to
implement and has a plan for all customization required.
The development team is having fun with code and the IT operations group
is preparing to purchase any equipment required and is setting up QA
sites for integration testing
Stakeholders : Development team including consultants if required, IT
operations

Important Information
- Customization doc - Database, Framework, Tool list, Best Practices
- Properly commented code
- System Administration tools and environment

5) Implementation
At this stage the system is put into operation and data is migrated
Stakeholders : IT Operations, Training, OfBiz Support team

Important Information
- End-user training material - videos, on-line courses, course templates
that can be branded and customized
- System Administration tools - Security, DR procedures, Update procedures
- Data migration tools and Best Practices

I hope that this helps.

--
Ron Wheeler
President