ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Release page outdated and inconsistent.
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2014 14:38:38 GMT
On 07/08/2014 9:48 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Le 07/08/2014 14:19, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> On 06/08/2014 5:18 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> My only concern about the versioning pattern is that it looks to be
>> non-standard and does not follow the practice of other Apache products.
>
> Yes I know, I'm the one who pushed for this versioning pattern, which
> follows the Ubuntu way.
> The idea is with a year and month in the release version you have more
> information than in something like 7.0.75, you know when it has been
> freezed
> Each ASF project is free to use its own versioning pattern
NP

>> I am trying to point out that the documentation is inconsistent
>> within the page and seems not to match reality.
>> It needs to be updated by someone who knows the truth and can fix the
>> places where it needs it.
>
> I know the truth :p.
> And nothing need to be fixed
> You can apologize, I'll not mind :p

I don't owe anyone an apology since I wrote nothing that was directed
against anyone but were comments on the project documentation from a new
System Administrator's point of view.
The version description is obscure to someone outside the project and
needs to be fixed.
However, if you feel that anything that I wrote was directed against
you, I apologize for leaving you with that impression.

>> If pointing out errors or shortcomings in the documentation is
>> "ranting". I will try to "rant" as constructively as possible.
>
> Yes thanks, but be sure to understand before, else you will get some
> other RTFMs

I am probably a good target reader.
- Native English speaker
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees in Computer Science with 40 years
of experience with about 20+ of it as System administrator (mostly
Linux) and lead software developer (Java, MySQL, Spring).
I have a pretty good idea about the documentation required to have a
smooth installation and operation.
If I can not understand the docs, then they need probably need to be
clarified.

I think that my comments on the installation were accurate and did
result in missing information being added to the docs.
I hope that my comments on the Download page will help other new System
Administrators understand the release structure more easily.

I appreciate that it is difficult to write documentation when the author
is an expert in the topic.
It is hard to put oneself into the mindset of someone who knows nothing
about the product or the discussions that have gone into the design and
is trying to learn everything that they need to know from written docs.

Ron