ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "JFradkin@styleline.com" <JFrad...@styleline.com>
Subject Re: run action in Order Search
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:36:33 GMT
I agree they are different.
The underlying data set might be the same, but sharing a table and using a
type is not a good idea for performance. The entity maybe could even stay
the same, but just from a data storage and speed thought it would be better
to use two tables and eliminate the need for type to be introduced. Also if
you ever try and read data, when the table is larger even with proper
indexes it is slower on larger data sets. At least that is what I found
testing with Postgres (might be different with the ofbiz engine).
I had 250 concurrent users on a system I was in charge of and I was always
trying to figure out how to get the speed up. Many of our smaller companies
were fine, so indexing does make a difference, but when the tables got more
then say 500,000 records it would get much slower than when the table was
small. We had all our clients for the most part on one DB. I found when I
moved some of the realy big clients off to their own instance making the
over size of the Postgres DB smaller the speed came up (even though that
client still had the same number of records). I was surprised as I thought
with proper indexing the number of records in the table would ot
significantly impact speed. Maybe there were other issues, but I spent a bit
of time on it and implemented a few more DB (pain separating out the data).
Thats why I think it would be better to use two tables, but maybe if both
tables are in the same DB it doesnt make a difference. We are not going to
have that kind of stress so no worries here it works ok as is.

-----
Joel Fradkin