ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappell...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: OFBiz.org site: easier navigation to Service Providers and End Users
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:20:19 GMT
I guess that you could create a patch with the proposed changes and then create a Jira ticket,
then start a voting thread in the dev list.

Before we go into it, I anticipate here some conditions that I think are important:
* I would like to review examples from other ASF projects doing the same; in this thread it
was mentioned that several other projects are doing the same; I don't have time to research
but if a volunteer could provide a list of projects and URLs of such documents I would be
happy to review them
* remove from the documents any links to external sites that are not strictly following the
ASF trademark guidelines; this includes all the sites containing the OFBiz name in the domain
(e.g. ofbiz.info)
* the link from the OFBiz website should have enough information to clearly show that the
referenced documents are not under the control of the PMC, but instead they are "open" documents
at the disposal of the public
* the same disclaimer is added at the top of each page
* the documents open in a different tab (i.e. they use the "target" attribute)
* they are not added to the top navigation bar; my preference would be to add them to the
body of the index page, in this paragraph:

"For answers to your questions you might find the following documents useful:
	• Documentation
	• Documentation - Project Overview
	• Documentation - Getting Started"

* we define clear rules on the format and content of these pages: define the column and content
that each field can contain, the order of the entries, define if there are minimal requirements
for publishing a company/site, define the amount of text each field can have, where external
links can be defined

Jacopo

On Feb 19, 2014, at 11:32 PM, Nick Rosser <nrosser@solveda.com> wrote:

> With Hans joining the "yes" vote can we go ahead and action the originally proposed change?
>
> Nick
>
> On 2/19/2014 6:08 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> BTW, last thought on this about external sites monitored for violation: should we
not rather remove than monitor them? Then it would not penalize other sites...

>> This done we could block the page for users who would like to exceed their rights
to edit (though I have still to understand how that works, see for instance Pierre's request
about Roadmap page access)

>> Jacques

and approved by the OFBiz PMC before its publication.
that govern the "users" and "providers" list: I can add/move my company to the top, someone
could decide that only companies with committers can appear there (I see now that there are
several companies in the page that mention the term "contributors" even if this is not a role
assigned by the OFBiz PMC), I see links to external sites that the ASF is monitoring for violations
to the ASF and OFBiz trademarks, in general I see pages that are a mess and clearly they can't
be officially endorsed by the project.

>>> Having links to external sites monitored for violations by the ASF is clearly
an issue which prevents to endorse these pages and link them from the main site.

>>> Some time ago, I added a note on top of the https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Service+Providers
page
>>> <<We (OFBiz committers) keep an eye on this list in order to keep independent
committers and companies with committer(s) at the top of the list. Else no order is specifically
required so far (we will certainly alphabetically order the lists later), thank you>>

>>> Actually, though I wrote "We (OFBiz committers)" it was my own decision to monitor
and keep this page as clean as possible. Contributor is indeed not an official role. It was
added by someone and I decided to keep the idea. Because it allows to separate contributors
from committers in this column.
>>> Maybe the title of the column is not clear?
>>> Or maybe, as it was before, we should keep only PMC members (IIRW, Adrian also
added the PMC member role in this list and I followed) and committers in this list?
>>> I thought about adding a new column for contributors, but decided it  was a bit
too much, this could be done also, for the sake of separating concerns.

>>> Jacques

pages we should fix those issues, this is our duty.
kind of information, but this doesn't mean that the PMC has to endorse them or fix them.