ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From anon <akemerof...@hotmail.de>
Subject Re: ofbiz newbie
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 13:36:21 GMT
I feel even more stupid right now. I had the widget folder under webapp:-D .
Thank you for the link to the presentation. A lot of good stuff in there.
Now I cannot run any app, I get the error

*java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: FreeMarker template location null
or empty

*I assume I have to cleanup and recompile different things, but I am not
sure what.

On 01/19/2014 11:05 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> On Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:54 PM, akemerofako@hotmail.de wrote
>> Hello ofbiz users,
>> I am a newbie wit a couple of questions:
> Welcome :)
>
>> 1- Is the tutorial "A beginners Development Guide" still current?
> I can't guarantee it's up to date. It seems people still used it recently successfully...
>
>> The reason I am asking is that I have been trying for more than 3 hours
>> to get part 2 to work but I always get the error message:
>> /java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not find screen file with
>> name [component://practice/webapp//
>> ///practice/widget/CommonScreens.xml]//./
>> When I remove the /webapp/ part from the path, I get:
>> /java.lang.RuntimeException: Error rendering included screen named
>> [CommonPracticeDecorator] at location
>> [component://practice/widget/CommonScreens.xml]:
>> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
>> /media/VERBATIMSSD/ofbiz/trunk/hot-deploy/practice/widget/CommonScreens.xml
>> (No such file or directory)/
>> The file is there. I have tried many different combinations with and
>> without the "webapp" part, but to no avail. I thought this thing was
>> going to be simple but it is a little bit frustrating. I have looked in
>> the example application and the main difference at this point is whether
>> or not /webapp/ should be there or not.
> It seems weird to me to have a widget screen defintion under webapp, normally this is
under widget

>> 2- How do ofbiz experts actually develop their applications and what am
>> I doing wrong?
>>
>> I spent close to 4 hours trying to fix what I believe is a trivial
>> thing, but 90% of that time was spent restarting the application even
>> though I am running in debug mode with the latest from svn. If I change
>> a single character in a single xml file, I restart the whole server.
> This is a big, and often not enough known OFBiz advantage, most of the time you don't
need to restart when you change things in dev mode (dev mode depends on the content of the
cache.properties file, this is documented in wiki)
> It's easier to name the main (I'll not get into details) cases where you need to restart:
> * Java change (compilation)
> * Service definition change (if your service is written in minilang you don't need to
retart when changing the implementation)
> * DB definition change (table, field, etc.)
>
> If the caches are on (not on dev mode), it's the same but you need to clear the caches...
webtools/control/FindUtilCache
> You might even clear only the cache where things changed (production performance).
>
>> really want to like this software because of the amount of work I see
>> that people have put in but this is one of those times I wished I was a
>> php developer.
> Ten year ago when I began with OFBiz I had this feeling many times (though not to the
point to wish being a PHP dev ;)