ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: ofbiz newbie
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:12:30 GMT
Not sure you need to compile anything, you might simply need to find a wrong freemarker location
reference in your code
Something like

Jacques

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:36 PM, akemerofako@hotmail.de wrote
> I feel even more stupid right now. I had the widget folder under webapp:-D .
> Thank you for the link to the presentation. A lot of good stuff in there.
> Now I cannot run any app, I get the error
>
> *java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: FreeMarker template location null
> or empty
>
> *I assume I have to cleanup and recompile different things, but I am not
> sure what.
>

> On 01/19/2014 11:05 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> On Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:54 PM, akemerofako@hotmail.de wrote
>>> Hello ofbiz users,
>>> I am a newbie wit a couple of questions:
>> Welcome :)
>>
>>> 1- Is the tutorial "A beginners Development Guide" still current?
>> I can't guarantee it's up to date. It seems people still used it recently successfully...
>>
>>> The reason I am asking is that I have been trying for more than 3 hours
>>> to get part 2 to work but I always get the error message:
>>> /java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not find screen file with
>>> name [component://practice/webapp//
>>> ///practice/widget/CommonScreens.xml]//./
>>> When I remove the /webapp/ part from the path, I get:
>>> /java.lang.RuntimeException: Error rendering included screen named
>>> [CommonPracticeDecorator] at location
>>> [component://practice/widget/CommonScreens.xml]:
>>> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
>>> /media/VERBATIMSSD/ofbiz/trunk/hot-deploy/practice/widget/CommonScreens.xml
>>> (No such file or directory)/
>>> The file is there. I have tried many different combinations with and
>>> without the "webapp" part, but to no avail. I thought this thing was
>>> going to be simple but it is a little bit frustrating. I have looked in
>>> the example application and the main difference at this point is whether
>>> or not /webapp/ should be there or not.
>> It seems weird to me to have a widget screen defintion under webapp, normally this
is under widget

>>> 2- How do ofbiz experts actually develop their applications and what am
>>> I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> I spent close to 4 hours trying to fix what I believe is a trivial
>>> thing, but 90% of that time was spent restarting the application even
>>> though I am running in debug mode with the latest from svn. If I change
>>> a single character in a single xml file, I restart the whole server.
>> This is a big, and often not enough known OFBiz advantage, most of the time you don't
need to restart when you change things in
>> dev mode (dev mode depends on the content of the cache.properties file, this is documented
in wiki) It's easier to name the main
>> (I'll not get into details) cases where you need to restart:
>> * Java change (compilation)
>> * Service definition change (if your service is written in minilang you don't need
to retart when changing the implementation)
>> * DB definition change (table, field, etc.)
>>
>> If the caches are on (not on dev mode), it's the same but you need to clear the caches...
webtools/control/FindUtilCache
>> You might even clear only the cache where things changed (production performance).
>>
>>> really want to like this software because of the amount of work I see
>>> that people have put in but this is one of those times I wished I was a
>>> php developer.
>> Ten year ago when I began with OFBiz I had this feeling many times (though not to
the point to wish being a PHP dev ;)