ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "Robert G." <...@mercon24.de>
Subject Re: getting screen.width in ftl
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 00:06:32 GMT
what skip mentioned is also interesting...especially the java script
files and pictures make about 1MB download size for the client. with
mobile devices this is much.

so what I would do is:

create a landing page where you just request the kind of device from
client (desktop, mobile etc.) or the browser size as nick mentioned.

within FTL it is not possible (without Java script), because this is
server side. So you have to decide on client side what to do (reason for
the landing page).

on client side just check with like java script if he uses a mobile
device. Than redirect the client to i.ex a subdomain (i.ex. m.domain.tld
instead of www.domain.tld).

this subdomains just uses other screens, or handle it maybe with
properties in screens / session / groovy files.

I would create a completely new website for mobile, because most of the
time it is completly different, so you need to use other css and js
files to reduce the bandwith requirements.

you as addition can use the same ftl  and groovy files (to have better
overview about all files), and just check the session if he is a
mobile...than do these checks in groovy and ftl, so at the end of the
day you just load parts of these ftl files.

for the javascript check build a door to your server session object with
an ajax call, which lands on a i.ex. java file which writes attributes
to session. with this procedure you can check on serverside the device
state and other variables you want to set from client side.

kindly

robert

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl.-Ing. Robert Gan