ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "Ted Byers" <r.ted.by...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Install location of OFBiz: still getting started ...
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:15:57 GMT

The
> same script could be used to remove unwanted files. If you want to remove
the
> .svn folders from your deploy copy, you can use the SVN export command.
>
> -Adrian

Hi Adrian

Thanks

The same problem exists in the C++ world.  There are many different
configurations of a variety of distributions of Linux, not to mention the
other variants of Unix and the versions of Windows.  That is why, in the C++
world, they developed autoconf and automake, and a common file shipped with
most libraries and Unix programs is 'configure.sh', which when finished
makes various configuration files and, most importantly, the makefiles.
That is a script that you use to define where everything is and where
everything is to go.  The fancier configure.sh scripts will actually specify
which parts of the project to build depending on what resources are
available.  For example, the project may be able to use a png library, if it
is present, but will build fine, and either doesn't build support for
graphics files, or it will use another graphics file format if configure.sh
finds some other graphics file it knows how to use.  So, even though the
project developers have no idea what your system is or how it is configured,
they can make use of whatever you have installed that it makes sense for
them to use, as long as you pass the appropriate info as arguments to
'configure.sh'.

But that doesn't tell me where the ofbiz directory tree contents ought to
go.  I can see a number of candidate directories that logically ought to
take at least some of the files; but if it is like some of the other servers
I have installed, there will be some stuff put into (a subdirectory of)
/etc, and other stuff put into /srv, and maybe /opt.  And some of the files
probably ought to go into /etc/init.d; but what ought to go where on a Suse
Linux box?  Where have others who use Suse Linux put OFBiz?

Thanks

Ted