ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Atul Vani <atul.v...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: proposal
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 08:09:59 GMT
Ruth, Nick,

It might be a possible scenario that someone wants to display the newly
setup products in the catalog at any particular date-time, may be at the
beginning of a new season or some kinda festival. He would rather
process the product data for them in advance, test it and have some
trigger mechanism to publish them. This is why a date-time field is
required along with the "Publish" button. One may also want to remove
the products from the site, and may be want to do that at a specific
date-time. So an un-publish button is also required, and that too along
with a date-time field.

A publish button should be of great help, or alternatively this can also
be done by setting a future fromDate/thruDate field for the
ProductCategoryMember record, for the VIEW_ALLOW category. Though a
product not only needs to be controlled for catalog listing, it might
also require to be added/removed from the SEARCH, PURCHASE_ALLOW,
NEWLY_ARRIVED kinda categories, depending on the business requirements
and it's nature. A catalog manager also requires to deal with such work
flow when associating/dissociating products from categories.

I believe the current workflow keeps things consistent. Moreover the
consistent workflows help in building better understanding about
processes and data model.

If I were the catalog manager, I would have setup and added the products
(which I wish to launch next month), in some category. And then would
have set the fromDate for the category's association, with the
VIEW_ALLOW category, to the scheduled time. Saves me the trouble of
hitting a publish button for every product (assuming the number of
products is large here).

Should consider this kinda requirements when you add the feature :)

Thanks&  Regards
Atul Vani
Enterprise Software Developer
HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com/
We are the Global Leaders in Apache OFBiz, Google 'ofbiz' and see for yourself.