ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappell...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: Who is using the seleniumxml and why?
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 07:10:49 GMT
It is interesting, thank you Erwan.
About the integration with OFBiz: apart from the ant task available ootb to run tests what
else are you planning to include in OFBiz?
I am asking this because in my opinion the best layout would be the following:
* Selenium is not bundled with OFBiz
* all the generic Selenium tests are bundled in the OFBiz applications
* we include the minimal resources from Selenium in OFBiz (like an ant task or some required
jars if really needed)

Development teams that use Selenium usually have their local machines (or some other infrastucture)
already setup to run (and create) Selenium tests; in my opinion it is not worth to package
and maintain the whole Selenium bundle in OFBiz; if a user is not already setup with Selenium
then he/she will not even think about running the tests bundled in OFBiz.

Jacopo

On Mar 1, 2012, at 7:55 AM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:

> Le 23/02/2012 17:05, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
>> Good day everyone,
>>
>> I would love to know from the persons that are using the seleniumxml integration
available in framework/testools their opinion about this tools; specifically I am interested
to know:

>> 1) how you use it (settings, platform, browser) and if it is functional and useful
>> 2) the advantages you see in using this OFBiz specific integration rather than using
the standard Selenium tools
>> ** do you find it easier to setup this component rather than the standard Selenium?
>> ** is it easier to write tests in the custom xml syntax provided by seleniumxml?
or do you rather create them (as suggested by the documentation in framework/testools) using
one of the standard browser plugins available for Selenium and then convert to xml using the
custom script in OFBiz?
>> 3) are you willing to contribute the tests you are using? are they generic enough
to be contributed back to the project?

>> I am asking #1 and #2 because I feel that we could replace all the custom code we
have for seleniumxml (and required jar files) with a good document that explains how to setup
Selenium (no special integration is actually required for ofbiz) and then, instead of writing/maintaining
test scripts in this custom xml formal, we could simply accept and commit standard selenium
test scripts (in my opinion users will be facilitated to contribute them without the need
to learn a new syntax); we could also provide an ant script to run all of them. In this way
we could also use a more recent version of Selenium (web driver).

>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Jacopo
>>

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> while I've been working seleniumXml code, I'm not using it... I find it too complicated
to use: need of changing configuration (https), transformation from selenese to seleniumxml,
etc... I'm in favor of moving to webdriver, which is a GSoC task I created last year. I hope
that this year one student will step in, and work successfully on it.