ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Piper" ...@ilscipio.com>
Subject AW: [Security Concern] Printing out credit card information on the log file?
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:07:47 GMT

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jacques Le Roux [mailto:jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 19:47
An: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [Security Concern] Printing out credit card information on the
log file?

From: "Vicky Park" <vicky@pexsupply.com>
> Hello folks,
>

> I realized that printing some information on log files could violate
> PCI CSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) depends on how
> they configure the system, and how to use the log file. If I
> understood correctly, we're printing card holder's information
> including credit card number, expiration and CVV num in plain text on log
file.

> If we don't print out on the log at all on the live site, that would
> solve the problem. But if there is a person who wasn't aware of that
> fact,  he might accidentally violate the PCI DSS compliance. For
> example, let's say there is a person who keeps the log to be printed
> on the live site. And for some reason, he downloaded log file to his
> local computer and kept unsafe location, or passed to someone else to
> let them take a look that log file for asking help. Then I believe he
> is violating the PCI CSS compliance accidentally.
>

> Code involved 1:
> [PayflowPro.java:166]
> if (Debug.verboseOn()) Debug.logVerbose("Sending to Verisign: " +
> params.toString(), module);
>

> Logs which is being printed:
> [Datetime] (TP-Processor70) [         PayflowPro.java:166:INFO ] Sending
> to Verisign: PARTNER=verisign&VENDOR=[Company
> ]&USER=[UserID]&PWD=[Password]&COMMENT1=[Order ID]&PONUM=[PO Order Id]

> &CUSTCODE=[Customer's code]&TRXTYPE=[]&TENDER=[]&CVV2=*[CVV
> number*]&AMT=[Amount]&ACCT=*[16 digit credit card number in plain
> text]*&FIRSTNAME=[Cardholder's firstname]&LASTNAME=[Card holder's last
> name]&COMMENT2=[]&EXPDATE=*[expiration date]*&STREET=[Card holder's
> address&ZIP=[card holder's zip code]
>

> Code involved 2:
> [RequestHandler.java:719]
> if (Debug.infoOn()) Debug.logInfo("Sending redirect to: [" + url + "],
> sessionId=" + UtilHttp.getSessionId(req), module);
>
> => I realized that credit card information is being printed from
> different file as well (RequestHandler.java:719). I need to check what
> service triggers RequestHandler.java:719 and passes credit card
> information within url variable. But at least I noticed sometimes that
> line in the log file contains credit card information in plain text as
well.

> PCI DSS involved:
> 7. Restrict access to cardholder data by business need-to-know 9.
> Restrict physical access to cardholder data
> [Reference]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Sec
> urity_Standard
>

> So, here is my questions & recommendation:
>
> 1. As we (at least I) want to keep log for in case, I think it's
> better to not to print out credit card information to the log file.
> What do you think? Do you think deleting that line is the best option?

It's very unlikely that anybody would run a production server with log set
at verbose level at any moment for all classes/packages.
But we could easily comment out this line indeed (not deleting it)

> 2.  If you guys think it's better to print out at least some
> information to log file for some purpose, I believe it's better to
> print out in encrypted format rather than in plain text. Otherwise we
> can print out last 4 digit or first 4 digit, not entire number.

Not needed if commentout, then people would be really aware that they are
sending it to log

> 3. Do you know what triggers RequestHander to print out credit card
> information?

I expect commenting line in PayflowPro.java would be enough

> 4. Is there any other file you can think of which likely print out
> credit card information to log file?

I don't think so. PayflowPro is not used OOTB in OFBiz IIRW

Jacques