ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ruth Hoffman <rhoff...@aesolves.com>
Subject Re: vendors and suppliers
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:34:02 GMT
Hi Mike:
I too looked at the Data Model book and would agree with your
interpretation from the book.

Since my opinions seem to inflame David to no end, I think I'll just
stop trying to help out here and wish everyone best of luck in
understanding how this all fits together.

Should anyone care for more of my opinions on this or any matter
concerning OFBiz (or the coming elections :-), please feel free to
contact me via the myofbiz.com website. That is what it is there
for...to spread OFBiz information - real or imaginary.

Best Regards
Ruth Hoffman
ruth.hoffman@myofbiz.com

On 12/10/11 12:59 AM, Mike wrote:
> Hey Dave.  It is a little confusing, so I looked at Data Model
> Resource Book to see if there is clarification.  From what  I can
> garner, a Vendor "sells" stuff (to you), and a Supplier "supplies" you
> with repetitive items, over and over.
>
> You may call your local light vendor and ask for 100 15w br30 CFL
> bulbs.  You don't care about the make and models.  The vendor looks at
> his OWN suppliers, and ends up shipping to you 100 sylvania 15w, model
> xyzzy, or a combination of equivalent items from various sources.
>
> That is a Vendor.  He takes your order, looks at what suppliers HE has
> relationships with, and ships to you what you need.  He's a middleman,
> and he may also use his own, unique part numbers for these  items.
> (VendorProduct).
>
> A Supplier is more precise.  He still takes your order, and sends to
> you ONLY what HE makes/manufactures/distributes.  That's it.  You know
> exactly what you need, you know the exact make, model, manufacturer,
> size and part number.  He supplies the same exact part to you, over
> and over. (SupplierProduct)
>
> Is this closer, or am I way off.
>
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 6:31 PM, David E Jones<dejc@me.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>>> Hi David:
>>> Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for your input. I have some

It