ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Mike <mz4whee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Import addresses with special characters.
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:09:09 GMT
Your database must already be set to UTF-8.

If you are using postgres, you can test this by:

postgres=#  \c ofbiz;
psql (8.4.7)
You are now connected to database "ofbiz".
ofbiz=# \l
                                   List of databases
    Name     |  Owner   | Encoding |  Collation  |    Ctype    |
Access privileges
-------------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
 ofbiz       | ofbiz    | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

If you are using mysql, and can test this by:

mysql> SHOW CREATE DATABASE ofbiz;
+----------+------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Database | Create Database                                                  |
+----------+------------------------------------------------------------------+
| ofbiz    | CREATE DATABASE `ofbiz` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 */ |
+----------+------------------------------------------------------------------+

Also, check a REAL table as well, like this:

mysql> SHOW CREATE TABLE ZIP_SALES_RULE_LOOKUP;

And look for "DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8"

However, I bet it ISN'T because the default that ofbiz sets in
framework/entity/config/entityengine.xml for mysql is:
            character-set="latin1"
            collate="latin1_general_cs">

And to support UTF8 the mysql section needs to be set to:
            character-set="utf8"
            collate="utf8_general_ci"
            jdbc-uri="jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/ofbiz?autoReconnect=true;characterEncoding=UTF-8"

If you are already using this mysql DB for production, this could be
VERY tricky.  Basically, you have to convert the database to utf8,
which isn't easy and has risk.  Backups are critical.

Here is a good reference:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/TIP_Convert_latin1_to_UTF-8_in_MySQL

After conversion change framework/entity/config/entityengine.xml and
test things.

Also, don't forget your terminal needs also to be set to UTF8.  I use
putty, and this is set under:

Window -> Translation -> UTF-8

Try first on a test system [grin].  Proceed with caution please.