ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Re: ofbiz with no JavaScript
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 02:10:08 GMT
things like Sticky keys and Ctrl+ to increase fonts is provided in the
browser.
At 70 it seems the Type is getting smaller :)

I understand about enabling Javascript as you described.
the probem is the functionality goes away since JavaScript,  does not
use the rendering.

Adrian Crum sent the following on 9/3/2011 12:54 PM:
> The requirement is not that strict as far as I can tell:
>
> http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?fuseAction=stdsdoc#Web
>
> The Flat Grey visual theme is intended to be used by visually impaired
> users. Also, the last time I checked, our screen renderers check to see
> if JavaScript is enabled, and if not they produce alternate markup.
>
> I have a screen reader installed on my development machine and I use it
> now and then to test the OFBiz UI. I also test the UI by putting my
> mouse in a drawer to force myself to use only the keyboard. I find that
> OFBiz is still usable under those conditions.
>
> If anyone would like to contribute modifications to bring OFBiz into
> compliance with US Defense Department Section 508, all they need to do
> is submit patches to Jira and I would be happy to review them.
>
> -Adrian
>
> On 9/3/2011 8:28 PM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>> Hi BJ:
>> Just to give a little more info:
>>
>> At one time the US Defense Department did not allow Javascript on its
>> computers (as you describe below). Not sure if this is still a
>> mandate. They also have a very strict accessibility requirement called
>> Section 508 which details how web pages should be usable by visually
>> impaired individuals. I know for a fact that Section 508 is still
>> enforce and that OFBiz does not meet many those standards.
>>
>> I'm wondering how HTML5 might help take up some of the slack?
>>
>> Anyhow, I tend to agree with you. At the very least, all webpages
>> should degrade "nicely" when Javascript is disabled.
>> Best regards,
>> Ruth
>>
>> On 9/3/11 11:44 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>>> For sometime I have been promoting ofbiz to a larger Company.
>>> it is National with headquarters in One City and Multiple manufacturing
>>> and Assembly Plants in multiple States.
>>> They use VPN to tie all together.
>>>
>>> My contact was impressed in ofbiz I showed him on the Demo site, while
>>> he was at home. He went to show others at work and it did not work well.
>>> His Company has a security rule that does not allow any JavaScript into
>>> their computers, as well all their internal websites can not use
>>> javascript.
>>>
>>> You can See the results by disabling JavaScript in your browser and look
>>> at the Ofbiz Demo.
>>>
>>> I have been given to the end of Sept to come up with a proposal on
>>> delivering the functionality but without JavaScript.
>>> The staffing for doing this is an additional 10-20 positions for 1-5
>>> years.
>>>
>>> My problem is I have not found  enough people that:
>>> 1)Understand the Design of Ofbiz
>>> 2)Understand the Modeling used based on the videos David did
>>> 3)willing to work with the tools that was developed in Ofbiz.
>>> 4)Know Ofbiz well enough to reuse code already available.