ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "hyysguyang@gmail.com" <hyysguy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ofbiz "mavenizer"
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 03:05:30 GMT
Yes, that's the point, I strong recommend migrate the build system to
maven, it's very handy to build/development/deploy/release with maven
since there is lots of plugins can be use, and you also can write your
plugin if possible. Just as Sascha mentioned, IMHO,

1. Maven follow the convention over configuration, you can avoid lots of
unnecessary work, more important, ofbiz is also follow this principle,
ofbiz follow the standard ofbiz-module-directory.

2. One of the goal of Maven is to support multiple module development,
it's really easy and powerful, there is lots of project(open source or
commercial ) are base upon maven build system, such as glassfish,
hibernate, james, seam, xwiki....... Ofbiz is really a large multiple
module project, it's easy to mapping to maven's module. You can focus on
the module with maven module support, no need build other module....it's
very important for larger project since you can build quickly and work
more effective.

3. Beyond dependency management, maven standardize the release
lifecycle, project management, document management and more development
activity.....

4. Most of the IDE provide powerful support maven, you can open an maven
project just as open normal IDE's project, such as idea, eclipse,
netbean.....

5. Maven provide dependency management which ensure all dependent
artifact have accurate version. This is very important to ensure the
system stable. Seems some dependent jar of ofbiz miss the version
information from my memory.

So, I would vote for provide maven build support.。。

Please be free to contact with me for any question or suggestion.
Thanks & Best Regards .

Young Gu | Software Engineer | http://www.infor.com

On 7/14/2011 12:12 AM, Sascha Rodekamp wrote:
> Hi David, hi Eric,
>
> first: cool tool Eric would love to see it!
>
> I worked a lot with maven in the last year and must say it is pretty amazing
> how easy thinks can be when you follow the convention over configuration
> pattern. There are plenty of plugins which support you by
> building/deploying/organization your application.
> So when maven is working it's is a really powerful tool.
> But during my projects i had to migrate some ANT based builds to Maven based
> build, that was a lot of work (and some times pretty frustrating).
>
> To your points David:
> 1. better modularizing OFBiz
> That would be a really great benefit and maven have a good modularization
> support
>
> 2. using Maven for build and/or module dependency management?
> That effects point one. The maven structure made it easy to create separate
> POMs (ProjectObjectModel) for each module (which can inherit other POMs) and
> combine them in one super pom which defines global (build/ deployment etc.)
> options
>
> ... Just a few thoughts this evening :)
>
> regards,
> Sascha
>

> 2011/7/13 David E Jones<dejc@me.com>
>
>> This is an interesting idea, and there seem to be a number of plugins for
>> Maven that deal with release/build/deploy automation.
>>
>> Looking around to learn more about this I found this interesting intro
>> presentation that talks about the Maven release plugin, plus plugins for
>> other tools like Codehaus Cargo and LiquiBase (with a nice little intro to
>> LiquiBase, which is very cool BTW):
>>

>> http://www.slideshare.net/wakaleo/automated-deployment-with-maven-going-the-whole-nine-yards
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Eric Bowman wrote:
>>
>>> Yes.  We version our changes of ofbiz in a mavenesque way, and intend to
>> use the maven release plugin to generate releases which get "deployed" (in
>> maven terminology) to a repository, from which they get deployed to real
>> servers.

>> such as well?

>> in order to build software that depends on it, using maven.  Converting
>> ofbiz to use maven is a considerably bigger project.

>>  From a quick search I see such discussions going back to 2003!
>> be able to help with that. However, it is just a tool and would still
>> require significant work in addition to what Eric describes below to clean
>> up higher-level OFBiz artifacts like services and screens and such to make
>> the dependency tree clean.
>> graph that he sent to me, and it turns out to be a pretty good graph of
>> component dependencies (even though technically if everything were written
>> in the way intended by the framework, there wouldn't be so many build-time
>> dependencies like this). The graph is actually better than the old old one I
>> hand-rolled (that is in the Component and Component Set Dependencies
>> document in the OFBADMIN space on Confluence).

I'm