ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Entities Id as VARCHAR
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 00:57:57 GMT
Adrian,

Evalutating other technologies and how I can utilize them and combine
them with ofbiz database is not a waste of time, like you claim.

There are technologies available that allow us to generate data model,
and services from the database, and leave us with only UI to create. Some frameworks
like isis may even create the UI using naked objects, from the database.

I wanted to see how far I can go, generating JPA entities using ofbiz database.
That's why I wanted to name an id "id", and make it an integer.

This is not useless effort. Opentaps, have gone with hibernate already !

I trully value your advice about how to use my time productively.

On Tue Apr 05,2011 09:24 pm, Adrian Crum wrote:
> Huh? What does Isis have to do with OFBiz?
>
> -Adrian
>
> On 4/5/2011 5:19 PM, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
> > http://incubator.apache.org/isis/
> >

> > On Tue Apr 05,2011 08:18 pm, Adrian Crum wrote:
> >> Why would you want to do that? It would result in rewriting the entire
> >> project to change the field names.
> >>
> >> It seems to me you will be wasting a lot of time trying to make OFBiz
> >> code look the way you want it to look - without adding anything new or
> >> fixing anything. Instead, why not use the project in the way it was
> >> intended, and spend your time getting something useful accomplished?
> >>
> >> -Adrian

difficult to keep track of foreign keys. The nice thing about giving even sequenced ID fields
a somewhat unique name is that you can use that same name on other entities/tables and have
them match up automatically.

between entities, and there are thousands of these in the OFBiz data model, so the few extra
characters goes a long way toward making things easier to understand and maintain.

Id,