ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Hans Bakker <mailingl...@antwebsystems.com>
Subject Re: more than one unit of measue fo the same product: advice requested.
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 03:53:49 GMT
This change is now implemented in r1040908

Related to the comment from Scott, Instead of using the existing
association, we have created a new product association 'Alternative
Packaging' to not interfere with the usage of Scott.

An explanation can be found at:
https://www.antwebsystems.com/content/control/ViewBlogArticle?articleContentId=16750&blogContentId=AWS_BLOG

Regards,
Hans

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 16:06 +0700, Hans Bakker wrote:
> i could also add a new association type "alternative Uom" and then still
> use isVirtual=Y/isVariant=Y...which would not block your usage....
>

> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 21:34 +1300, Scott Gray wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > I'm still in favor of the approach that I suggested earlier and you haven't really
mentioned why it wouldn't work for you.  If you like and if you are willing to wait a couple
of days I could show you what I mean with some example entity xml data.  You could then load
it into a demo instance and play around with it.

> > I haven't read your proposal in detail yet but I'm not really in favor of using
the isVirtual=Y/isVariant=Y combination to indicate uom specific behavior.  I think it is
quite possible for a product to have that combination in real life and using it for something
else would remove that possibility.  Imagine a variant that is itself also a virtual with
its own child variants.

> > Regards
> > Scott
> >
> > HotWax Media
> > http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
> >
> > On 11/11/2010, at 8:46 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
> >
> > > A longer explanation how we want to implement this can be found at:
> > > http://www.antwebsystems.com/control/ViewBlogArticle?contentId=16750&blogContentId=AWS_BLOG
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Hans

the individual items (which may or may not be for sale directly to the customer), and one
that is a product that represents the box and that is associated with the individual item.
In OFBiz there are a few different product types you can choose from to have the system handle
the box in different ways automatically, or you can use plain old Finished Good to handle
the boxes manually.

Product entity:

quantityIncluded=12, quantityUomId=oz, piecesIncluded=6.

products for different UOMs?  You could use virtual/variants if you wanted the UOM to be selectable
on a single product page and also marketing packages to automatically produce inventory for
the desired UOM from the base UOM.