ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From James McGill <james.mcg...@ableengineering.com>
Subject Re: Issues while connecting Ofbiz eclipse in Debug Mode
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:44:06 GMT
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Kapil garg <gargkapil@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry I am trying to get my head around the documentation for connecting
> Eclipse in Debug mode for Ofbiz.
>
> Folliwing the instructions
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Running+and+Debugging+OFBiz+in+Eclipse
>
> I added
> java -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
> -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8091 -jar ofbiz.jar
>
> in the stortOfbix.bat and renamed it as StartDebugOfbiz.bat
>
> My question is after adding port 8091 as a debug port, would my application
> ecommerce say for example need to open on
> locahost:8080/ecommerce or localhost:8090/ecommerce. After adding it is
> opening on 8080. Is that correct?

It sounds like you might be confused about the relationship (or lack of a
relationship) between the JVM debugging port and the web service port.

Essentially, everything stays the same for using the web service, e.g., if
you had it on port 8080 before, you still access it on that port.  But the
debug context in Eclipse points your local java runtime at the remote
debugging port.   Once you have a debug configuration setup, you see it in
the Debug perspective where it attaches via a socket to the remote JVM,
where you will see an entry for each thread it is attached to.

The hard part of debugging OFBiz this way is in the fact that so much of the
application is in the Minilang, so the breakpoints you can use tend to be
inside the framework instead of at the service level.  Sometimes it's a
challenge to find a piece of Java that you can use to make a breakpoint.  On
the other hand, this is a fast way to learn how the minilang processor
actually works.

--
James McGill
Phoenix AZ