ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <d...@me.com>
Subject Re: more than one unit of measue fo the same product: advice requested.
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:13:12 GMT

For boxes of a product you'll usually have one product that represents the individual items
(which may or may not be for sale directly to the customer), and one that is a product that
represents the box and that is associated with the individual item. In OFBiz there are a few
different product types you can choose from to have the system handle the box in different
ways automatically, or you can use plain old Finished Good to handle the boxes manually.

For certain products all you need is the three fields already on the Product entity:

quantityUomId
quantityIncluded
piecesIncluded

For example if you have a six-pack of 12oz soda cans you would have quantityIncluded=12, quantityUomId=oz,
piecesIncluded=6.

-David

On Oct 2, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> Hi Scott, this is sure an interesting idea, but then how does the system
> know that they are for example 10 pieces in a box? I still what to have
> the same inventory for boxes and pieces.
> We should be able to store the conversion between the uom's for this
> product somewhere?
>
> Thanks for you input!
>
> Regards,
> Hans
>
> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 17:39 +1300, Scott Gray wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Sorry if this is a silly question, but why not just use different products for different
UOMs?  You could use virtual/variants if you wanted the UOM to be selectable on a single product
page and also marketing packages to automatically produce inventory for the desired UOM from
the base UOM.