ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Re: more than one unit of measue fo the same product: advice requested.
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:38:13 GMT
Scott I followed you on the Marketing UOM but I can't find you comments
on Inventory side except to say to use standard procedures.when I did my
multiple UOM I could not find where you would have the all the Products
UOM with out first adding Virtual/variants. this is all by hand and time
consuming. in business time is money and overhead. Something both Hans
and I agree on.

to make this easier for my clients they fill out the different UOM they
receive the product and the UOM they will sell the product in.
I coded a service that takes this and generates the Virtual/variants
products, sort of like the setup does the first product, which to me is
even simpler to the end user.

so I was hoping to inject the ability to do this in the OOTB in a future
date.

Scott Gray sent the following on 10/3/2010 12:52 PM:
> I'm sorry you're not making any sense.  I've explained how multiple UOMs are supported
OOTB for both just-in-time conversion and for longer lived UOM inventory that may require
effort to produce.

> What is so wrong with the current functionality that we need to add new tables?  How
would a SECA on ProductPricing (?) populate the virtual/variants?

> For just-in-time conversion marketing packages are a very simple approach, you just select
the product type and then setup a single ProductAssoc record to define the component Product
and the quantity.

> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 4/10/2010, at 2:04 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>> So having a entity that defines the different UOM that can be sold in inventory would
be a good Idea, at a minimum.
>> and as Hans Says have a price differential for each UOM.
>> use a SECA to trigger on the ProductPricing service to run a service to populate
for the Virtual/variants
>> So all the user has todo is put fill in the new entity.
>>
>> Scott Gray sent the following on 10/3/2010 5:44 AM:
>>> You wouldn't use marketing packages in that situation, you'd just use regular
products and regular production runs.

>>> Regards
>>> Scott

for different UOM. is marketing not a "Just in time" type of management?
shipments beyond a reasonable time. This could be from too many products that need conversion
beyond staff capability to handle orders, against processing a certain level of Inventory
as stock, based on ERP.

in what I was suggesting, the marketing packages would serve to convert the base uom product
to each of the marketing package's uom whereas the virtual/variant would just serve to combine
all uom products under a single virtual product.  Each variant would be a marketing package
except for the base uom product which would be a regular finished good.

and completed, but I don't really see that as a big deal.  It serves as a record for the conversion
and also if the base uom doesn't have enough inventory available then the production run is
left open until more is available, so it serves well as a reservation mechanism of sorts as
well.  Production runs have always been our primary mechanism of converting one or more products
into a different product which is exactly what is happening here.  Marketing packages/production
runs also support decomposing manufactured products back into their original components which
would serve you well for returns and the like.

would be the marketing package and the single piece would be the product that all inventory
is stored against.  The ProductAssoc (type "component" I think) between the box of 10 and
the piece would have a quantity of 10.  Whenever the box is ordered the system would automatically
create a production run which will convert 10 pieces into 1 box.

each higher UOM is a marketing package with the conversion factor stored in ProductAssoc.quantity.
 I can't remember exactly if it is the case, but I think marketing packages are capable of
deriving the selling price from the components if a ProductPrice isn't defined for it, in
that way you'd only need to maintain specific prices when you need to provide a lower cost
for ordering in bulk.

different products for different UOMs?  You could use virtual/variants if you wanted the UOM
to be selectable on a single product page and also marketing packages to automatically produce
inventory for the desired UOM from the base UOM.

Measure
UOM.

received in inventory to
instance a feed store