ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Re: more than one unit of measue fo the same product: advice requested.
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:04:41 GMT
So having a entity that defines the different UOM that can be sold in
inventory would be a good Idea, at a minimum.
and as Hans Says have a price differential for each UOM.
use a SECA to trigger on the ProductPricing service to run a service to
populate for the Virtual/variants
So all the user has todo is put fill in the new entity.

Scott Gray sent the following on 10/3/2010 5:44 AM:
> You wouldn't use marketing packages in that situation, you'd just use regular products
and regular production runs.

> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 4/10/2010, at 12:07 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>> how would the marketing package allow for inventory levels to be established for
different UOM. is marketing not a "Just in time" type of management?
>> What about inventory that takes long lead times to process, that would delay shipments
beyond a reasonable time. This could be from too many products that need conversion beyond
staff capability to handle orders, against processing a certain level of Inventory as stock,
based on ERP.

>> Scott Gray sent the following on 10/3/2010 2:15 AM:
>>

>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I understand what you proposed, could you explain it further?
>>>
>>> Virtual/variants and the marketing packages would serve different purposes in
what I was suggesting, the marketing packages would serve to convert the base uom product
to each of the marketing package's uom whereas the virtual/variant would just serve to combine
all uom products under a single virtual product.  Each variant would be a marketing package
except for the base uom product which would be a regular finished good.

>>> Marketing packages do cause an automatic production run to be created and completed,
but I don't really see that as a big deal.  It serves as a record for the conversion and also
if the base uom doesn't have enough inventory available then the production run is left open
until more is available, so it serves well as a reservation mechanism of sorts as well.  Production
runs have always been our primary mechanism of converting one or more products into a different
product which is exactly what is happening here.  Marketing packages/production runs also
support decomposing manufactured products back into their original components which would
serve you well for returns and the like.

>>> Regards
>>> Scott

the marketing package and the single piece would be the product that all inventory is stored
against.  The ProductAssoc (type "component" I think) between the box of 10 and the piece
would have a quantity of 10.  Whenever the box is ordered the system would automatically create
a production run which will convert 10 pieces into 1 box.

higher UOM is a marketing package with the conversion factor stored in ProductAssoc.quantity.
 I can't remember exactly if it is the case, but I think marketing packages are capable of
deriving the selling price from the components if a ProductPrice isn't defined for it, in
that way you'd only need to maintain specific prices when you need to provide a lower cost
for ordering in bulk.

products for different UOMs?  You could use virtual/variants if you wanted the UOM to be selectable
on a single product page and also marketing packages to automatically produce inventory for
the desired UOM from the base UOM.

Seca.