ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Re: more than one unit of measue fo the same product: advice requested.
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:07:20 GMT
how would the marketing package allow for inventory levels to be
established for different UOM. is marketing not a "Just in time" type of
management?
What about inventory that takes long lead times to process, that would
delay shipments beyond a reasonable time. This could be from too many
products that need conversion beyond staff capability to handle orders,
against processing a certain level of Inventory as stock, based on ERP.

Scott Gray sent the following on 10/3/2010 2:15 AM:

> Hi Hans,
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you proposed, could you explain it further?
>
> Virtual/variants and the marketing packages would serve different purposes in what I
was suggesting, the marketing packages would serve to convert the base uom product to each
of the marketing package's uom whereas the virtual/variant would just serve to combine all
uom products under a single virtual product.  Each variant would be a marketing package except
for the base uom product which would be a regular finished good.

> Marketing packages do cause an automatic production run to be created and completed,
but I don't really see that as a big deal.  It serves as a record for the conversion and also
if the base uom doesn't have enough inventory available then the production run is left open
until more is available, so it serves well as a reservation mechanism of sorts as well.  Production
runs have always been our primary mechanism of converting one or more products into a different
product which is exactly what is happening here.  Marketing packages/production runs also
support decomposing manufactured products back into their original components which would
serve you well for returns and the like.

> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 3/10/2010, at 8:52 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>
>> But involving the complete manufacturing process? please have a look at
>> my earlier message about adding a field to the productassoc entity....
>>
>> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 18:13 +1300, Scott Gray wrote:
>>> If you were to go the marketing package route, the box of 10 would be the marketing
package and the single piece would be the product that all inventory is stored against.  The
ProductAssoc (type "component" I think) between the box of 10 and the piece would have a quantity
of 10.  Whenever the box is ordered the system would automatically create a production run
which will convert 10 pieces into 1 box.

>>> So you have a standard finished good as your lowest UOM and then each higher
UOM is a marketing package with the conversion factor stored in ProductAssoc.quantity.  I
can't remember exactly if it is the case, but I think marketing packages are capable of deriving
the selling price from the components if a ProductPrice isn't defined for it, in that way
you'd only need to maintain specific prices when you need to provide a lower cost for ordering
in bulk.

>>> Regards
>>> Scott

for different UOMs?  You could use virtual/variants if you wanted the UOM to be selectable
on a single product page and also marketing packages to automatically produce inventory for
the desired UOM from the base UOM.