ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "Jacques Le Roux" <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: James
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2010 20:59:22 GMT
From: "BJ Freeman" <bjfree@free-man.net>
> There are many considerations
> My main one is human engineering.
> So I ask myself
> from a users point of view is is easier to have a external mail system they can follow
easily with a few config files or a system
> that requires programming. That is a no brainer.
> From a production point of view do I really want to stop and start ofbiz to do mail maintainence.
Answer No.

I did not thought about the production aspect, good point indeed!

> If you not going to use a Third party Mail service you don't need the spam, virus, and
other mail filtering that is already in
> James.

That's what I find interesting, more filters for spam is always better... I know what I'm
talking about...

> the RFC for mail server pretty much explain the basics.
> However till you see the real world effort to misuse the mailserver or spammer and those
that want to Jam up the Internet, you
> don't appreciate what James does.

Actually the sole experience I have with a mail server was some years ago. It was on a Windows
2003 server (not my choice!) and I
had to use Merak (now IceWarp) but without all the options. Most of the time it was cool,
but sometimes a nightmare (especially when
users don't want to understand about spam).

> Baically you set up a dns Mx record that point to the server with the mailserver on it.
> the Mail server usually uses standard port to receive the Ehlo and Helo queries.
> That is when the real world step in and starts to mess with you mail server.
>
> Just as a side note I run 150 threads to handle the Ehelo ahd Helo

I think I have to read the RFC in details because my knowledge is limited to what I used with
Merak (which is already a good
start...)

Thanks BJ!

Jacques