ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Migration component Ideas
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:45:47 GMT
ofbiz at this point offers a rudimentary migration doc, thanks to the
mostly Jacques effort.

But let me give you an idea of what I experience with my BBS free software.
1)the upgrade you download puts the software in a non access mode from
the web.
2)it evaluate what version you are running
3)it then goes to the software site and generate a download of files and
database changes, as a script.
4)after you install the files it rechecks that everything in there and
does a database migration.
5) it runs tests to validate crucial operations.
6) it then tells you to remove the folder with the upgrade which
unblocks the web access.

now for ofbiz I see those steps as
1) add a service that stops web access while upgrade
2) notes and stores the current svn version
3) upgrades from the latest branch that is a release(by version number)
4) checks database against upgrades and reports what has to be done
manually if any. then is the hardest part.
5) keeps rechecking till the database passes configure test.
6) gives a message to restart ofbiz or issues a restart command.

any thoughts

BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man