ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Michał Cukierman <mcukier...@partbook.eu>
Subject Re: Catalog management performance issue
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:35:36 GMT
I know that Ofbiz is limited in some areas, but as far it's the best
place to start. It's better to improve some code than write it all. What
I also think: I have software for free, I can put some effort to improve
it.

So to keep the problem in mind. What is the way of implementing:

1) How to implement Right/Left joins on DynamicViewEntity
2) How to implement my whereString
 - > select .... where not in (select ...)

And by the way:
class:CategoryWorker
method:getCategoriesWithNoParent

My change do not affect the system I think. It gets some parameters and
return a query result. So there is not much to break :)

Dnia 2010-08-17, wto o godzinie 10:23 -0600, David E Jones pisze:
> I wouldn't say that OFBiz OOTB is a middle of the road compromise, that would imply consistency
in the code which is not the case. The fact is some code is designed and tested to properly
handle millions or even billions of rows in its target table, and other code can only have
a few thousand or perhaps tens of thousands. There is no general rule or easy way to simplify
that down. Things that are used more by larger organization have tended to be written or improved
over time to handle more data. Things that aren't haven't, it's that simple.

> -David
>

> On Aug 17, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>
> > Hi David:
> > Thanks for chiming in! I understand and my experience has been exactly as you say:
"Each bit of code and each query needs to be designed with a certain expected data set size"

> > What you get with OFBiz out-of-the-box is a middle of the road "compromise". The
really good news is that OFBiz is flexible enough to handle any necessary tweeks.

> > FYI - I wanted to do more exploration into testing with large data sets and try
and arrive at some guidelines to help determine just how those "tweeks" might work. I had
intended to document the same, but then my database went away and I turned my attention to
other things.

> > Regards,
> > Ruth
> >
> > David E Jones wrote:
> >> One thing to keep in mind is that with database queries and OFBiz there is no
inherent nature of how it handles large data sets. Each bit of code and each query needs to
be designed with a certain expected data set size, and typically the more data you want to
allow for in the data store the more effort and testing it requires.

> >> In other words, a query and bit of code that doesn't handle a certain large
table means absolutely nothing about how other queries and other code will handle similarly
large tables.

> >> -David

years ago, prior to 9.04 I had an out-of-memory problem that was never resolved. The database
tables that I was querying had between 4 - 12 million records. My database (and OFBiz usage
of the same) went away before I couldn't do any further investigation into the problem.

AM:

with

delegator.findList("ProductCategory", null, null, null, null, false);
curCat.getRelatedCache("CurrentProductCategoryRollup");

For