ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jonatan Soto <seniledemen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple internal organizations on top
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 22:17:16 GMT
comments inline

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM, BJ Freeman <bjfree@free-man.net> wrote:

> lets start with how these companies related tax wise.

usually one is the corporation and one is the S corp.
> or One corporation is the Top and the other corporation is a profit center.
> if both companies are related tax wise  then you would setup different
> facility and do stock transfers.

In fact Company2 is a kind of a bridge company. It should do:

   - Handle PO's from Company1
   - Treat PO's and generate PO's for different providers. These providers
   and Company2 are located in a different country of Company1 (that's why the
   existence of Company2, because it reduces customs expenses and bureaucracy)
   - Real providers invoice to Company2 and when the merchandise arrive to
   the international carrier facility, Company2 must unify all of them and then
   invoice to Company1.
   - The final invoice should be presented at customs of origin country a
   destination country.

> If the companies are not related tax wise, then the company that supplies
> to company one is a supplier to Company 1.
> you can not run both companies in the same application due to financial
> reporting without heavy modification to the code.

I don't need an exhaustive accounting and financial tracking and monitoring
of Company2. I just need to keep the PO and invoices. But I know this way of
doing things is a bit messy.

> Company 2has the role of supplier and is selected for each product.
> this is done through the menus for a product at UI level.
>
> This creates a supplier Product link to the product.
>
> A ProductID that can be in many catalogs.

It's all done. For now, i have defined two suppliers for each, the real one
as main supplier and Company2 as alternative supplier.

> As a note you could run both companies if not related using the multitenacy
> feature just introduced.
> then each company would share the code but have seperate databases.

That's a possible solution. Another one may be to have two running instances
of Ofbiz using different DB, I think it will be more versatile because it
allows me to handle the logic for one company separated to the other and I
would be able to exchange data  through webservices for example , but the
work and maintenance is multiplied by two plus the webservice development
and testing.

> =========================
> BJ Freeman
> http://bjfreeman.elance.com
> Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation  <
> http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=52>
> Specialtymarket.com  <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>
>
> Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist
>
> Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
> Linkedin <
> http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1237480&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro
> >

> Jonatan Soto sent the following on 7/1/2010 8:57 AM:
>
>  Hi all,
>>
>> I have a few doubts on how Ofbiz handles internal organizations. My
>> business
>> logic needs to setup two internal organizations at the top level. One is
>> the
>> responsible for B2C operations (company1) and the other for B2B operations
>> (company2). Company1 has to purchase products from Company2 and then
>> Company2 has to replicate and split the PO to different providers. So
>> Company2 acts as a supplier of Company1. I did the following steps:
>>
>> 1. Create catalog1 for company1 (B2C web sales purposes)
>> 2. Create catalog2 for company2 with exactly the same products (B2B)
>> 3. Create a party1 and set up a relationship as employee to company2.
>> 4. Create store1 for company1 with catalog1
>> 5. Create store2 for company2 with catalog2
>>
>> When I log in using party1 I'm able to see all catalogs and change the
>> default organization.  So the question is, how can I restrict the  access
>> and actions that belongs to a specific organization?
>> Note that I checked the code and I found some files (eg.
>> CatalogScreens.xml#FindProdCatalog) where I would be able to insert
>> specific
>> business logic, but I don't know if it is possible to configure that
>> without
>> touching the code.
>>
>> Any suggestions/ideas of how to do it are very welcome.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> Jonatan Soto

BTW, what's exactly the purpose of changing the default organization? It
would be a very tedious task to use this for my custom implementation?

Thanks a lot for your time BJ.
-----

Jonatan Soto