ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Mike Z <mz4whee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ofbiz vs Openbravo
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:07:51 GMT
Not intending to start a war, but I evaluated OpenTaps (both the older
version and the new 1.4 versions) and what I immediately noticed was
it's huge memory footprint.

Now I've worked with and deployed java applications for many years,
and have seen all kinds of problems, but the most insidious are memory
issues,.  A poorly written java application will continue to chew up
memory resources, up to the point where java is forced to go through
garbage collection at frequent intervals.  The memory usage usually
manifests itself as a gradually increasing sawtooh curve, that keeps
increasing over time.  As long as java's free memory stays below
-XmXXX, all is well, but when the memory usage creeps up, you start
experiencing problems in the application.

Usually during garbage collection, java will momentarily freeze,
depending on how much memory has been allocated (via -XmxXXXM)

The first thing I noticed about OpenTaps was how huge it's memory
usage was (about 800MB initially), then creeps up.  On the other hand,
ofbix (9.04) starts around 400MB and stays fairly constant.  This told
me everything I need to know about OpenTaps, and made me immediately
run away from it.