ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Mike Z <mz4whee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TaxWare status of 9.04
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 05:06:49 GMT
I've been slowly trying to figure this out this structuring of the GL
for WA state, and I need a little advice.  For a given county in WA
state (I'll use Pierce) there are currently 30 tax jurisdictions.
Sample:

"Location","County","Location Code","Local Rate","State
Rate","Combined Sales Tax","King County Food & Beverage",""
"DuPont","Pierce",2704,0.028,0.065,0.093,"",""
"Eatonville","Pierce",2705,0.013,0.065,0.078,"",""
"Edgewood","Pierce",2720,0.028,0.065,0.093,"",""

And here is how the GL looks (based on Demo):

200000 LIABILITIES 0
  220000 ACCRUED EXPENSES 0
    224000 SALES TAX COLLECTED 0
      224100 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA 0
        224155 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - VT 0
        224156 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - WA 0  <--- TAX = 6.5%
          224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - WA  Pierce County 0
            224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - Pierce County - Dupont
2704 0 <- TAX = 2.8%
            224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - Pierce County -
Eatonville 2705 0 <- TAX = 1.3%
            224xxx SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - Pierce County - Edgewood
2720 0 <- TAX= 2.8%
        224157 SALES TAX COLLECTED USA - WI 0
      224200 SALES TAX COLLECTED CAN 0
      225000 ACCRUED USE TAX 0
      226000 ACCRUED RETIREMENT PLAN EXPENSE 0
      229000 OTHER ACCRUED EXPENSES 0

So I'm wondering two things.  If I need/should place the "Pierce
County" sub-category, even though I won't be collecting tax at this
level.  Will I be sorry later if I exclude it?  If I do include it,
will the accounting module somehow calculate the cumulative tax at
this level, based on it's sub-categories (2704, 2705, 2720)?

Another issue is the current numbering scheme.  Currently, it can't
support multiple sub-categories at the state level.  Are there any
recommendations based on the upcoming sales tax issues we'll
experience in the future?

Should the Demo GL data file (I'm using 9.04) be changed?  As it's
currently deployed/numbered, it can't support the sample UT county ZIP
code sample, which I used to figure all this out.

Thanks